Soft Poos After Antibiotics and Ulcer Treatment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniAmazon

Hello! A little backstory: Sprocket was diagnosed with an ulcer a little over 3 weeks ago. She completed a round of antibiotics (TMS) and recently finished her treatment for the ulcer itself (Famotidine). Treatment also included feeding of critical care mixed with EmerAid. She was just boarded with the vet for a week while I was out of town, but previous to that (about 2 weeks ago), she had very soft, squishy poos during the day that prompted me taking a sample to the vet to be tested (stool float and giardia). All stool tests came up negative for giardia and other parasites. That evening, her stool looked normal.

She's back to eating and drinking normally. I've got plenty of fresh timothy hay offered and 0.25 cup of Oxbow Essentials pellets (split between 2 bowls) offered. Her water is filtered. She has apple sticks in her cage, and plenty of things to chew on but has taken to trying to chew on the bars of her cage.

She seems to be going through squishy, and smelly, poos during the daytime, but normal poos overnight. I assumed there was going to be a bit of a gut-readjustment period after antibiotics, ulcer treatment, and critical care, but I don't know if this is normal or if there is anything I can do to help the process. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance! :)

Did your vet recommend any probiotics to help with her stomach?

No. The vet didn't mention anything about probiotics - though it would definitely make sense to me to help out. She's slowly getting back to normal. Things are definitely looking nearly normal again overnight, but get a little squishy during the day. I'd like her to gain some weight back, but I'm figuring that will come with time now that she's feeling better/things are getting back to normal.

Back