soft and sticky poo?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabou

mommy of Kahlua and Pedro
I checked both "poo-speaking" threads, and they're both talking about constipation. So I will add this :

What if my Kahlua has problems with soft (sometimes a bit wet) poo? I feed him mazuri, and Kaytee Thimothy hay, apple branches sticks, and as treats he gets one "Crock herbs" treat, containing alfalfa, vitamins and Omega 3 per day (pretty much) and also maybe 3 unsweetened cheerios once in a while.

I've read that Kaytee thimothy could be bad, but could it be what makes him have soft sticky poo? Or maybe the Crock treats? Should I stop something or give him something for it to get back to normal?

Mazuri has been known to make some chin's poos soft. Not all chins get it, but some. Mine did hence the switch over to PANR.

Also try cutting down on the treat from everyday to like 3x a week

Alright he'll get less treats, and I think that to be safe, I'll stop using the "crock herbs" once the bag is done....it's rather small anyways.

And yes, it would squish and stick under my socks XD

Sometimes, it even sticks to his saucer wheel....o.o

And would Mazuri cause that like.....3 months after feeding him Mazuri with no problem?

once i made the switch to mazuri my chilie was having problems off and on i took her to the vet they said she was fine and i guess she adapted to the food. i felt so bad when chilie would get poo stuck in her hand

stuck in her hand? o.o....I didn't see any of that...it's mostly me walking on the ones Kahlua throws out of his cage....and also the ones stuck on his saucer wheel that I notice... I gotta remove em once or twice a day, depending.

The only suggestion i say is cut down on the treats you dont have to stop completely but you can try 3x a week and you can get some new good treats from someone on here :)

I will ^_^

I'll still get him to finish the bag of treats he has, no more than 3x a week, and then I'll try shopping for rosehips ^_^

Thanks!

If cutting back on the treats don't work you might want to have the vet look for parasites. What kind of water do you use?

Pull all pellets, offer nothing but hay for three days and bite sized, non-sugared shredded wheats several times a day (or, activated charcoal if you can find a delivery mechanism). Absolutely no treats. Also, try giving him some acidophilus, either sprinkle it on his food, give him the liquid flavored kind, or get the tablets that are flavored that you can break up and give as a treat. Give that for at least a week, every day, and see if it helps. Make sure he has clean filtered water every day. Make sure that you get a very high billion count or it won't cut through the acid in his stomach.

Mazuri is known to give diarrhea in some cases, and yes it can happen even after several months on the food. I had to switch from it and so have many others.

If after 3 days the poops are not where they should be, you need at the very least to get a stool sample checked. Just scoop some up warm and take it straight to the vet. You don't want any that has been sitting around for hours on end, as the tests won't work as well.

I agree, no treats. Pulling the pellets will hopefully help, but as mentioned, if it doesn't clear up, it could be some kind of parasitic infection upsetting his digestive system. Ideally, if you're using tap water, it should at least be filtered through an appropriate filter (1 micron I believe) to get rid of microorganisms like giardia and microsporidia... if you look on the box, there should be a seal of certification for this purpose. If you can, you might try switching to a better brand of hay as well, like Oxbow. Good luck!

Tika has gone through a few cycles of squishy poo. I haven't changed anything in her diet, nor the amounts of food / hay / water / treats. It seems that just sometimes she gets slightly looser stoles. I have tried lots of things but the best thing i have found is to pull her pellets for the day and just let her have lots of hay. That stiffens the stoles right up for Tika. Then I give her her pellets back and she is good to go.

If you do switch the food brand make sure you read up on how to properly switch...it should be done over a span of time, mixing less and less as you go along, not all at once:thumbsup:

Whoa everyone just answered the time I was not online XD

Well I will remove all pellets for three days, hopefully it will help as you all stated. The water I use, for both him and my hamster, is bottled water, as there is too much chlorine or whatever in the tap water.

And well, I'll be getting back to you all, it's not so soft that it'll only be sludgy (if that's possible XD) it's still regular shape...just will squish if stepped on, and stick to his wheel.

Should I stop even the apple branches? he likes to chew on them a lot....o.o

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe bottled water actually has a little too much removed in terms of beneficial minerals etc. Our water is bad like yours (smells like a swimming pool), but we have a decent setup for filtering... we have a Pur faucet filter that takes care of the microorganisms, and then a Brita pitcher filter that takes care of the chlorine and other contaminants. Just a suggestion.

As far as the apple branches, it depends where they're from. If they're the commercial petstore ones, I might hold off on those as well... they're probably safe, but you never know what they might have treated them with or if you somehow ended up with a bad batch. If they're from a reliable source (some members here trim and prep their own branches), I don't see any reason to remove them.

Like Tunes said, try sprinkling some acidophilus into his pellets, if you don't want to pull it out, same thing happened to Elmo last a few weeks ago, he had mushy poo, still in shape, but mush-able, I didn't want to pull the pellets out, cause then, I'd have to separate him with Gumby. Anyway, I gave him 24billion count adult acidophilus capsule and sprinkled it onto his food, after about 2-3 days, his poo cleared up.

Just as you all know, I just removed his pellets, and seeing me not put any new pellets seemed to have gotten him kinda angered XD

If the bottled water is not good enough, then I can use the filter things... Or maybe that kind of water can be good? It's actually tap water bottled up where I come from (well nearby) in northern Quebec. Before you go assume I want to give him chlorinated tap water, read this : http://www.thesourcematters.com/ That water is being naturally filthered with something called an "esker" and it's the tap water we drink, and the one they put in the bottles. Maybe that brand would have enough beneficial minerals? It's going to be easy for me to switch to that brand too =P

And the apple branches are from Quebec city, they have many people actually growing apple trees and then using the small branches to sell to petstores, but I guess it would be good removing them seeing as I didnt have any infos on the person selling them to the petstore....though Kahlua's been eating them for like...2 years...I'll give him one tonight, usually I would give him 3 branches, they're rather small (as in not thick, and about 6 inches long methinks)

EDIT : as for the acidophilus, I'll go check tomorrow when the stores are actually open XD (it's 11pm here) thank you all ^_^ If there is a brand that is recommended, I'll try searching for that one. If not, I'll just get one with that 24 bilion count....the person selling the acidophilus will know, I dont speak english usually, so I don't know what it means in french terms...Shall check tomorrow before going shopping for it =)

Last edited:
Wow, that's actually pretty interesting. If it's all true, I imagine that's stuff's pretty good for both you and the little fuzzballs.

Wow, that's actually pretty interesting. If it's all true, I imagine that's stuff's pretty good for both you and the little fuzzballs.

Hahaha it should be all true, as that water won the price for the best tap water in the world...or the second place or something XD I know they sell it over Quebec and Ontario province, but I don't know where else they sell it.... and since you said that, I'll switch water brands, then maybe it'll be better for all of us ^_^

Back