So phresh bedding / Aspen or Soft wood

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hana

I know both aspen and pine are safe.
I tried both aspen and soft wood ( natural blend of pine and other shavings ) from so phresh adding to paper bedding.

I used to use only paper bedding but they eat it so now I mix it with wood bedding. They chew and eat wood bedding too but I feel like wood is safer than paper.

I liked the aspen one because the soft wood one is very light and fly away, however you can see a picture of chin on only soft wood one, not on aspen one.
And I think I read this so phresh aspen shaving is not for chins because it’s too hard so bad for their digestion system.
Any suggestions?
My chins seems like Aspen one too because they can chew it and I see that a lot. But I worry what if that hurts them...

Attachments

• 98F1C9A5-C9F5-4C22-B83F-51BABD1006ED.jpeg
    98F1C9A5-C9F5-4C22-B83F-51BABD1006ED.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 4EF0565A-8243-4718-9A24-0EA17BE6D7B3.jpeg
    4EF0565A-8243-4718-9A24-0EA17BE6D7B3.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2
I would use the aspen shaving. I use it and have no issues. Also aspen and kiln-dried pine are the only safe ones. Softwood shaving normally means it is mixed with other types of wood that probably aren’t safe. I know softwood shavings aren’t good for most if not all small animals.

Pictures on things means nothing, it's just pictures, and there are plenty of things at pet stores that have chinchillas on them that are not safe too. Aspen is actually safer then pine since pine still has trace amounts of oils in it that can cause respiratory issues under certain conditions. Also the soft wood one is a blend of pine, spruce, and fir, and spruce and fir are not considered safe for chins. I use aspen and have for years, I prefer it over the kiln dried pine.
Safe Wood List

Back