Sneezing without mucus or drooling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilcutie0480

Gohan's Mom
Hi Everyone, I‘m hoping some experienced chin owners could possible help me.
My chinnie started sneezing and not acting himself roughly a month ago. I immediately took him to the vet and they diagnosed him with URI. He was on antibiotic, probiotics and critical care 2x per day for 10 days. After finishing the medicine his left eye the fur seemed matted compared to his right. I immediately took him back to the vet for sneezing still & his eye. He was then put on eye drops 3x a day for 10 days. We’ve now been finished with all medicine for a week. He’s is acting like himself but still sneezing. The vet said at our last appt it could be possible his teeth are pushing on his sinus cavity and to encourage him to chew on wood. My chinnie is being horribly lazy and refusing to chew on any toy or ledge I put in his cage. I’d prefer not to sedate my 19yr old for X-rays more due to his age vs money. Also this is the first time in his life he’s had URI or Eye infection so it’s not a regular issue for him. Does anyone have similar experience or suggestions to encourage him to chew to wear down his teeth???

You really need to have dental x-rays carried out in order to investigate what is happening with your chinchillas' teeth roots. If they are growing into the sinal cavity, I'm afraid nothing can be done. I've recently lost a chin who was an avid chewer, but suddenly stopped. This chin was very much younger, but exhibited very similar symptoms.

Thank you for the reply. My husband was gone on business for a few weeks so I was hoping it was more depression that led him to not chewing. He will destroy a lava rock but won’t touch his apple sticks. He will eat pellets and hay still but he is just not wanting to chew on anything else.

Back