Sneezing More Often

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DexterTheChin

Hi everyone, just wondering if this is something I should be a little concerned about.

Over the past 2 days, Dexter has been sneezing (or what sounds like sneezing) more frequently. Yesterday he sneezed ~5 times over the entire day which I know can be a sign of a URI, but there are no other symptoms other than the sneezes. Besides the sneezing, he's been acting perfectly fine. He's been eating all of his food, drinking water like normal, his droppings are normal-shaped and not mushy (and no blood). He has been sleeping a little bit more but I think that may be down to the days getting shorter as it's coming up to winter, so he wakes up a little earlier than before but he is still just as active. There's no changes in behaviour or acting aggressively or scared towards me.

I did do multiple counts on his breaths per minute and it was coming in generally between 65-70 which I've read is normal, but there were a couple times when it would go over 80 per minute. I'll link a video I took of his breathing and a photo of his eyes for people to look at to make a judgement (the video was taken while he was eaten, not sure if that could affect his breathing).

Breathing Video:
Dexter's Eyes:

Thanks in advance for any advice and help I receive!

I would contact a vet and ask them if it is something you should be worried about. Explain the situation, because maybe your chinchilla has respiratory issues. I found this on the web:
"Humid, crowded, and poorly ventilated housing conditions contribute to a greater chance of respiratory disease in chinchillas. ... Symptoms typically associated with upper respiratory tract infections include sneezing, coughing, discharge from the nose and/or eyes, difficulty breathing, and sometimes fever."

link: https://www.petmd.com/exotic/conditions/respiratory/c_ex_ch_upper_respiratory_tract_infection

I would contact a vet and ask them if it is something you should be worried about. Explain the situation, because maybe your chinchilla has respiratory issues. I found this on the web:
"Humid, crowded, and poorly ventilated housing conditions contribute to a greater chance of respiratory disease in chinchillas. ... Symptoms typically associated with upper respiratory tract infections include sneezing, coughing, discharge from the nose and/or eyes, difficulty breathing, and sometimes fever."

link: https://www.petmd.com/exotic/conditions/respiratory/c_ex_ch_upper_respiratory_tract_infection

Sorry for the late reply! I spoke with our vet and she said it doesn't sound like anything too serious currently. He may have just got some debris from his toys up his nose because he loves to roll in the willow stick dust! Also, seeing as the sneezes aren't getting worse it's just a couple a day and he's acting completely normal and there's no other symptoms, she isn't too worried right now! But of course, if anything gets worse or I think things just aren't right, I'll be taking him in ASAP.

Thank you though! :giggle:

Back