Sneezing and snuffling in cage corner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nezhka

Hi all,
My chin TJ has been acting a bit strangely. He'll clear out a corner of the cage behind the wheel, down to the cage floor, then stuff his face in the corner. It must be dusty, because he keeps sneezing. The thing is, he'll just sit there with his face smooshed, sneezing, for a few minutes. Anyone know what's going on? He has been chewing the cage bars a bit more, lately, as well.

Could it have to do with me packing up my apartment to move? He's lived here for 5+ years.

Thanks for any advice!

Could he be too warm? The cage bottom might be colder without all of the bedding. I know with the metal pans I have they would be much cooler than on top of the bedding. Could he be trying to take a dustbath on the bottom of the cage? My little guy use to clear out a spot and attempt to roll about if there was dust left over in his cage. I'd check him out. Make sure his eyes look clear and alert. He's been eating properly, drinking properly, pooping the normal amount. Maybe something is going on health wise? Could he be scared of something? Feel safest in the corner? These are just ideas I am throwing out. It is hard to know what is wrong without seeing the chinchilla or having more information.

If he's sneezing repeatedly, that's a sign of a URI. It may have been aggravated by the dust of moving. Upper respiratory problems in chins are dangerous and can progress rapidly. He needs to be seen by a vet right away.

He's not sneezing constantly - it was only when he was sitting with his face in the corner. He hasn't done it since I posted, and he's eating/pooing and behaving otherwise completely normally. I think he may have been scared/stressed or looking for a safe place, like lilly said.

Back