Small poops?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sendra

Chin-zilla!
Tribble is consistently defecating, yet her poops are very small and have been for quite awhile. (They're still oblong shape, but very small and very hard.) Though like regular poops, they have no smell. She's been taken to the vet and tested for malo, stasis, bloat, as well as given an overall checkup since this started in addition to bi-annual basic exams. She hasn't lost any weight, she isn't dehydrated, and she isn't lethargic in any way.

Here is her basics, just in case one of these might be causing it. She's been on/with all this stuff for years:
She's 3 years old, eats Oxbow timothy hay and Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe, with treats being rolled organic oats. She gets regular exercise running in the hallway and playing in the pen attached to her cage, bathes in Blue Cloud, and has fleece liners with Anchor potty pans filled with kiln dried pine.

Please help, I'm extremely confused and worried. :hmm:

Edit: Her room is consistently cool as well.

Last edited:
My boys have small poop as well. I think it just depends on the chinchilla. How small do you consider small? My boys range from about a quarter to a half inch long. There was a thread with pictures of poops a couple weeks ago, maybe that could help you to see if your chins are normal.
http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32844

Last edited:
The poops may be small and hard because they aren't fresh anymore. Poops kind of "shrink" after a while, so maybe that could be it.

Maybe you can post pictures of fresh poop and old poop? Sounds normal though, sometimes changes in food or too many treats can make the poo smaller.

She hasn't had any change in her diet at all. Her fresh and old poop are the same size as well and just as hard. Since she hasn't done any of her 'good' poops in awhile, I can't take a picture to compare to her usual ones. But I can give you an example from a picture from the website 'Chinchilla Nation' to compare her poops to.

chin-poo.jpg

They used to be about the size of the middle one, they are now the size of the far left but skinnier. They are also extremely hard and dry. It's been going for over two weeks and with no change what-so-ever in her routine and diet, I'm concerned. :wacko:

Hmm.. have you been giving her any treats lately, or extra treats, including sticks? Has she gotten into anything? My chins poo as a little on the small side (like the one of the left in the picture) but I know that's from getting treats a little too often. They've started to clear up for her this last week, I'm not very concered though.

Do you weight her at all? Hopefully they will clear up and pass, but since it's been almost two weeks, I would be getting a little concered too!

Try giving her linden flowers and leaves. You can notice improvement in 12-24 hours.
Also, I'd make sure she eats loose hay (you can offer some alfalfa as well).

Hmm.. have you been giving her any treats lately, or extra treats, including sticks? Has she gotten into anything? My chins poo as a little on the small side (like the one of the left in the picture) but I know that's from getting treats a little too often. They've started to clear up for her this last week, I'm not very concered though.

Do you weight her at all? Hopefully they will clear up and pass, but since it's been almost two weeks, I would be getting a little concered too!

Her weight is consistent, she often has apple sticks which she's had access too for a very long time without issues. They're part of her normal routine as well and have never caused any small poops. Her sticks are apple sticks from Ronda. She's pretty much always gotten rolled oats with the occasional stick
and it's never caused issues before.

Try giving her linden flowers and leaves. You can notice improvement in 12-24 hours.
Also, I'd make sure she eats loose hay (you can offer some alfalfa as well).

She's been very good about eating her hay, I'll see about ordering some of the leaves and flowers from you when I get home.

Back