Sleeping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jillzukow

Hello again guys! So my chinchilla recently started sleeping on his side, and after some research I’ve decided it’s pretty normal. However, he’s also started to put his ears down while he’s sleeping on all fours (not on his side), is that normal? Does that mean he’s getting more comfortable and isn’t as alert as he was when he first came home, or should I be worried that somethings wrong?

So long as it's just when he is sleeping it sounds perfectly normal. It sounds like he is comfortable enough to beable to fully relax and let his guard down when sleeping.

Chins sleep in all manner of weird positions - you'll get used to it. :) I watch for overly pink or red ears more than anything else. As Amethyst said, he's just getting comfy!

I use the ears as the indicators of how sleepy my chin is. If she's only sorta-napping (but mostly awake) she'll stand still with hear ears up. If she's really sleepy her ears start dropping until she finally gives up and gets into a comfy sleeping position.

So long as it's just when he is sleeping it sounds perfectly normal. It sounds like he is comfortable enough to beable to fully relax and let his guard down when sleeping.

okay… I have another question. Sorry for asking so many lol I’m just crazy. He’s recently started sleeping in odd spots, he will move from his chilling stone to the very bottom corner of his cage. Is that normal? Do you think maybe he’s getting too cold? I have a window air conditioner and it’s set to 66° all the time but when he’s on the bottom there’s things that can block the air from hitting him. (It never blows directly on him but still) it’s also the darkest corner in his cage so maybe that’s why he goes down there?

okay… I have another question. Sorry for asking so many lol I’m just crazy. He’s recently started sleeping in odd spots, he will move from his chilling stone to the very bottom corner of his cage. Is that normal? Do you think maybe he’s getting too cold? I have a window air conditioner and it’s set to 66° all the time but when he’s on the bottom there’s things that can block the air from hitting him. (It never blows directly on him but still) it’s also the darkest corner in his cage so maybe that’s why he goes down there?
It's unlikely he is too cold, he could just be looking for a darker place to sleep. My guys sleep in spots all over the cage not just in their house and not even always together. As they get more comfortable they like to try out different areas for sleeping. If he starts sleeping in the bottom corner a lot you can try adding a house there for him to sleep in and see if he likes it.

It's unlikely he is too cold, he could just be looking for a darker place to sleep. My guys sleep in spots all over the cage not just in their house and not even always together. As they get more comfortable they like to try out different areas for sleeping. If he starts sleeping in the bottom corner a lot you can try adding a house there for him to sleep in and see if he likes it.
Thanks so much for all your help :)

Back