Sleep well Susu

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamaisVu

I lost my Susu unexpectedly last Monday. She was just about 13 but was looking so healthy I was just planning a big cage remodel to get ready for her older years.

My first sign something was wrong was very decreased appetite on Saturday, so I started her on baby gas drops and critical care that same night, planning to take her to the vet first thing on Monday. She ate the critical care with gusto so I was encouraged.

Sunday she started looking less and less well and by Sunday night she was grinding her teeth, not moving much, and barely eating. I called the vet and took her as an emergency in at 5 a.m. The vet admitted her and ran x-rays...and immediately called me back. There was a tumor around her heart, malignant, and she was going downhill fast. They put her on oxygen and supported her just so I would get the time to get there and say goodbye.

There was nothing to do.

Sleep well, my sweet girl. I wish there had been anything I could have done so we would've had more time.

1645141619953.png

I'm really sorry for your loss.
She seems really sweet an gorgeous and it's a shame that she had to go, but the life she spent with you was surely a good one. She'll be with you in your heart forever.

Rest in peace Susu.

I feel so sad every time I read of a chin passing but each reported passing helps the rest of us learn more about chins.
I'm so sorry for your loss, JamaisVu, but Susu is now running free in a huge herd of other chins and is finally really free.

Sorry for your loss, it's never easy but so much harder when you don't expect it and think it's probably something minor since they have seemed fine. This also goes to show how well chins hide illness, she probably had the tumor for at least a little while.

Sorry for your loss, it's never easy but so much harder when you don't expect it and think it's probably something minor since they have seemed fine. This also goes to show how well chins hide illness, she probably had the tumor for at least a little while.
Yeah, the vet thinks she was compensating pretty well for quite a while until her little body couldn't take it anymore.

Even when racking my brain to see if I missed any signs the most I can come up with is she was sleeping a little more deeply (like not as startled by noises) and maybe readjusting a bit more during naps, but other than that she never changed her routine, the amount she was eating, and even her weight never really shot up or down.

They are just too good at hiding when something is wrong until they can't anymore :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you find the strength to get by. Was Susu alone?

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you find the strength to get by. Was Susu alone?
Her cagemate had passed a little over a year ago.

I considered trying to get another friend, but she started thriving as a single chin so I never replaced him.

I lost my Susu unexpectedly last Monday. She was just about 13 but was looking so healthy I was just planning a big cage remodel to get ready for her older years.

My first sign something was wrong was very decreased appetite on Saturday, so I started her on baby gas drops and critical care that same night, planning to take her to the vet first thing on Monday. She ate the critical care with gusto so I was encouraged.

Sunday she started looking less and less well and by Sunday night she was grinding her teeth, not moving much, and barely eating. I called the vet and took her as an emergency in at 5 a.m. The vet admitted her and ran x-rays...and immediately called me back. There was a tumor around her heart, malignant, and she was going downhill fast. They put her on oxygen and supported her just so I would get the time to get there and say goodbye.

There was nothing to do.

Sleep well, my sweet girl. I wish there had been anything I could have done so we would've had more time.

View attachment 21701
Your sad loss had one silver lining - she got to have you with her at the end. What a comfort to her to know you were there and not just strangers. All those years of love make saying goodbye so difficult, but as with any of our loved ones, I hope you can draw on all of your memories (and photos, and videos) to give you comfort as you sit with your pain. Namaste, Susu.

Thank you for your post. It helps me to learn & know things to keep an eye out for

I’m so grateful to this site and it’s moderators!
I have a 13 yo chin, he’s my first chin and we’ve only had 3 years together.

I never feel certain what his “normal” is since he changed as he recovered once rescued, and changed again as he bonded with me.
I am grateful for every day I have with him. Had no idea one could love a rodent so much!

my heart breaks for you ❤️‍🩹. Thank you for being such a wonderful momma to Susu!

Back