Sleep well Cream

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannnarr

A few hours ago I've just lost one of my boys. First pair of chinchillas I'd ever had and I think he may have been around 12 years old. It was out of no where and I work in a vets and rushed him down as soon as I saw something wasn't right but he passed before I got him there. I'm beside myself and so worried for his cage mate. I didn't know it was a good idea to let my other chin see him after he'd passed and I've already organised a cremation so can't bring him back home for his brother to say goodbye. How badly will this affect his cage mate?
Sleep tight my snowy little fluffy butt.
2009-2021💜

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210606-131055_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210606-131055_Instagram.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4
I'm sorry for your loss, it really sucks when they pass suddenly. They are so good at hiding illness that by the time they show signs it can often be too late. ☹

It seems to depend on the chin if it helps to see the dead cage mate or not, if you can it's a good idea, but sometimes that isn't possible. For some it helps them realize they are not coming back, for others it can actually really freak them out, and others just don't seem to care (possibly don't understand). Since it was a sudden unexpected passing though I would get your other chin checked out just to rule out any illness that could have caused the other's death, unless it was something obvious (12 is not that old, about 60s if human, in case you didn't know).

You can try cleaning the cage and moving things around too, so he isn't looking for his cage mate where he would normally see him. You can also get him some new cage things, maybe some new toys or new hideout house, just so their are things to help get his mind off not having his cage mate. Chins do grieve too so make sure you keep a close eye on the other one to make sure he is eating and drinking, and acting normal.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

My boy passed last November at home, so I did give his cagemate a chance to find the body before I removed him (just a few minutes) and it completely freaked her out. I don't think she quite understood what was happening/didn't know if she was safe, and was noticeably on edge for a few weeks after that.

I'm not sure if not seeing the body would have helped her at all. She definitely knew her buddy was sick and had been a lot more gentle with him, but seemed to expect me to bring him back to the cage for days after I removed him. I think since I had been hand feeding him for weeks prior to his death, she had gotten used to me taking him away and bringing him back, and seemed very confused/nervous. She seemed to look for him for a couple of days, even after I cleaned everything in the cage.

She grieved for about 2 months before starting to act more normal. During that time I tried to give her more attention while also respecting her space, so I think it helped her bond more with me than she had previously (she started seeking me out for pets and play more often, whereas before she tended to be more aloof).

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s hard to say how your other chin would have reacted. Extra attention from you may be helpful.

I’ve had bonded pairs and trips of hedgie girls show sincere signs of grief when one crossed. You witness this and wonder how shallow some humans can be to think any species but ourselves have feelings 😞 Give your little girl some extra comfort time with you. Talk to her. Tell her you are sad too but Cream is free from all illness now and romping just over the Rainbow Bridge 🌈🐾🐾🐾
Tell her Cream would not want her to be indefinitely sad but to thrive and live fully to honor his memory. She will understand you even though you speak different languages and it will help her heal from grief.

Back