Skinny chinny

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

Kishi seems a bit thin to me, don't get me wrong, she hasn't lost weight that i can tell and she eats plenty and seems to pooping normally(what goes in seems to come out well), but she seems thin for a chin, could it be that she's naturally thin? is there something i can do to fatten her up?maybe start giving her alfalfa hay?
she eats a bowlful of mazuri(about 1/3 cup) and unlimited timothy hay with the occaisional dried organic cranberry(no sugar added) or rosehip(when i say occaisional i mean about once a month)

If you don't have a gram scale get one and weigh her, then keep track for a bit, if the weight stays steady and its not a slow slide she may just be a petite chin. I would not supplement a chin unless there was a need such as dental chins or chins recovering from a illness, she could just be small.

Hi I am also the mother of a "skinny chinny" I posted this question just a few weeks ago, maybe it will give you some insight?

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19784&highlight=small+chins

Here are some pics of my lil' girl

picture.php

picture.php

Do you know how much yours weighs?

i'm not sure of her weight, she's always been lighter than silkie. and i've been watching her for a couple weeks now(she has got to be annoyed withe me poking her by now:p) she's pretty easy going and allows me to give her belly scritchies(when she's not overly hyper that is)
and she doesn't seem to be losing any weight that i can tell without a scale to weigh her,she eats her pellets well i have to refill her bowl every day, and she eats her hay good, chews and poos like a machine.
it's hard to tell by pictures, but eyeballing it it looks like she may be about the same size, maybe she's simply petite

I have a male who hovers at 545 to 555, he is a year and a half old so I am hoping he will gain more as he gets older. As long as she is eating and has good poos she is probably just a small chin, just keep an eye on her and weigh her like Dawn said(shes a genius didnt you know?) I thought my male was sick or something for not gaining weight so I took him to the vet- vet laughed at me when I pulled out my little steno pad with all my babies weights on it- then checked him out and just said watch to make sure he isnt losing.

she's so cute! my furby is a thin little fella i think the key like with any weight is just to look for drastic changes in it. furby is about 500 g

Most of my chins were skinny... So, I switched feed from Oxbow to Purina Rabbit Chow Show. It's been a month or two since then, and my chins really got fatten up and their fur quality improved significantly. Amazing!!! PR CS is the best! Cheep, too! $18 or so /50LB.

i'm not sure of her weight, she's always been lighter than silkie. and i've been watching her for a couple weeks now(she has got to be annoyed withe me poking her by now:p) she's pretty easy going and allows me to give her belly scritchies(when she's not overly hyper that is)
and she doesn't seem to be losing any weight that i can tell without a scale to weigh her,she eats her pellets well i have to refill her bowl every day, and she eats her hay good, chews and poos like a machine.
it's hard to tell by pictures, but eyeballing it it looks like she may be about the same size, maybe she's simply petite

It sounds like your girl is HEALTHY but just on the smaller side. :thumbsup: I just want to stress what Dawn said about getting a scale to weigh her. You can get a digital gram scale at places like walmart for around $20. I weigh each of mine once a week at approximately the same time of day. Unless she loses a TON of weight at once you won't be able to tell just by holding her. Slow gradual weight loss can only be monitored by using a scale.

Back