Side by side cage method

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxraddict

I’m doing this I’m being patient about it so I’m definitely not going to rush it, but how long should they be side by side before I let them both out for supervised playtime?

one has been with me one month longer. So much more established than my new one.

Wait until they are both calm, no real reaction, being side by side, and even better if they are actually trying to sleep next to the side with the other chin. There really is not time frame you have to go at their pace. I like to start with the cages far apart, then move them closer each week or so until they are just a few inches apart. Once they are calm with being that close for a couple days then I let them out together for a short playtime, just a few minutes. You really want to make sure it ends on a good note not with them chasing if at all possible, so it's best to keep it short at first. If all goes well then you can have the play time longer each time until it's normal length.

I meant to add this in my original post but the established chin is 1 years old. New one is estimated to be over 3.

I got the established in the double ferret nation and new ones been in temporary cage.

the doublenation which my 1 year is in is the cage I want to ultimately move the 3 year old into got them to share. If all goes well

Back