Show Temperment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inca-bink

Hi All!

There's a show coming up in April in my area, and I've had several people tell me I should go... so I think I'm going, but I've also had these same people tell me I should show one of my girls. I'm not sure it is a good idea, since she is really a hands-off kind of chin (she's finally coming around to me, but she's still skittish and wants to have the upper hand, she hates to be held). Is handling an issue at these shows? Since she is a pet, are there any stories about emotionally scarred chinchillas? :rofl: Maybe not. I don't really know how it works exactly, since I've never been to a show, do the judges do a lot of handling?

I've bred and shown cats before, years ago, with CFA, and temperment helps but isn't always necessary. Our multiple-time regional grand champion was a sweetie who loved showing, and although she hated the baths, she loved the attention and grooming. But we also had a high-placing male who hated everything that had to do with people other than his "mommy." But he got over it pretty quickly once we got home.

What do you think?

Thanks!

The chins will be judged in cages. You'll probably be doing the only handling when you groom them before the show. I have pictures on my website (link in my signature) under 'Shows' that will pretty much allow you to see whats done.

Last edited:
The chins are put into show cages, and just the cages are moved. Handling would mess up the fur. So temperament is not judged on at all. Of course... a chin spraying the judge is entertaining for the audience!

Usually just being at a show helps most chins "attitudes" because it's some place new, and a little scary I'd imagine.

Take her, it would be a great learning experience for you!

One thing I wanted to comment on, while temperament is NOT judged at a show, a very hyperactive chinchilla that is constantly moving about can be hard for a judge to assess. I've seen it happen just a few times...likewise, a chin that refuses to move to get "better judging angles" poses the same problem.

That said, the others are right, you can have the meanest darn critter on the block and have it do just fine at show.

^heehee to the above post.

The only time my guy got handled by a judge is when i refused to believe that the judge thought my boy chewed his fur. WHICH HE DOESN'T! still so mad about that....
The judge asked me if he could take him out, i said sure, and had rosco by the tail and blew into his fur so the judge could show me that some of his fur was shorter than the others. Which i knew because about a month before he slipped a BUNCH of fur, and it was growing back in.

Hm that gives me an idea...

The only negative is, you may lose some trust if she hates to be groomed. Showing is so much fun and you learn so much by participating that I think it's certainly worth the risk. Also, doing a test groom at home will help you gauge how she will react.

I think this is a great post! I only have one chin that I would think to bring to a show (quality wise) and he is my old grumpy one! Good to know that he could still take a shot at it!

the image of a judge being sprayed makes me giggle:tease:

There is always some jokes about losing place if the chin bites or pees on the judge, but I've not yet seen anyone bit.

Seen them get peed on quite frequently.

Back