Should I get my chinchilla a friend?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage12

I have a double critter nation. I would hope they get along but if they don’t I can divide it. I got Sage March 8th. What are the pros and cons of getting a friend for her? Do you think it is worth it?

I, personally, have not had good luck pairing chins. I have all males. I have seen chins paired successfully, so I know it can be done.
It certainly is nice for them to have a buddy, but is not required. Caring for 2 chinchillas is similar to caring for 1 (in the same cage). Do you have the capacity and resources to care for 2?

Yes I would be able to take care of them both. The only thing is if they don’t get along Chin Spins are expensive so I would have to save up to get another one. If they weren’t to get along are they ok in a single critter nation each?

Not all chins get along with all other chins, so they might or might not get along, some say it's about a 50/50 chance. Also keep in mind that bonding can take anywhere from days to years, assuming it ever happens. Chins are social herd animals so even if they don't end up getting along having another around can be beneficial, like living alone but having a neighbor vs living alone in isolation. With a single chin you just have to remember that you are their only socialization, so they need you to interact with them everyday for their mental well being.

A single unit is an ok size for a single chin if things don't work out, but you will need another cage at least at first though, new chins should be quarantined for 30 days before even being in the same room as your current chin. That gives the new chin time to settle in, for any illness to show up before exposing your current chin and for you to take the chin in for a wellness check, as well as it gives time for you to start forming a bond with the new chin. Once the new chin is all in the clear then you can move it to the same room. The way that seems to work the best is slowly move cages closer, once they are good side by side then you can introduce them in neutral territory for playtime and go from there. Neutral territory is even more important with females since they tend to be more territorial then males.

Back