Should I bring my chin to an introduction?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolatPocky

I'm thinking of getting another male chinchilla so Mr. B will have some company!

On chincare.com I read that it's good to bring the other Chinchilla so that you can ensure it gets along with the new one? Does anyone have any experience doing this? Do I just let them sniff each other through the cage? There was no specific info on what to do.

As for bonding chinchillas, I read about chin care's CWAC method and am considering that. Altho, I think in the end I will have them both live in separate cages in the same room.

No, you shouldn't. Any new chin coming into your home should be quarantined. Also, how they act while you are visiting could be completely different from how they will act when you actually have them home. For one thing, your chin will most likely be much calmer after being in the car. He may not display the normal behavior that he would have in his own territory. Getting a second chin is always a risk. The best thing you can do is have a spare cage handy at all times in case they do fight once a proper quarantine period and introduction have been done.

No, you shouldn't. Any new chin coming into your home should be quarantined. Also, how they act while you are visiting could be completely different from how they will act when you actually have them home. For one thing, your chin will most likely be much calmer after being in the car. He may not display the normal behavior that he would have in his own territory. Getting a second chin is always a risk. The best thing you can do is have a spare cage handy at all times in case they do fight once a proper quarantine period and introduction have been done.
Good point! In general I acknowledge its risky, which is why they will be living in separate cages.

The new chin is younger (5 months), will that effect how they might get along or not? I guess it comes down to temperament in the end.. I can't tell if Mr. B is a super alpha or not. Would there be signs pointing to that? When I play with him I have a small gray stuffed spider toy that he likes to mount when he sees it. Sometimes he will groom it a bit. Other then that, he is pretty chill and doesn't have a lot of attitude.

The age might make it easier, but it might not. If your chin is 8 and has been alone his entire life, age isn't going to make much of a difference with introductions. Some chins just do better at being alone. I try really hard not to have single chins, but sometimes the chins themselves make it impossible for them to have a friend. You can always try, and if it doesn't work out, you've got that spare cage ready to go.

Back