Shipping Companies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyBug

Sometimes I love too much
I'm trying to sell some homemade supplies, and I was wondering if anyone had an affordable option for shipping to Canada. I like including the shipping with my prices, but the shipping to Canada is so expensive it's ridiculous!

What size items are you talking about? If they're relatively small they can go through USPS first class for not that much more than the US. Larger items go for first class a bit more, but still not ridiculous. It's the heavy items that it sucks to ship.

USPS is normally your best bet with Canada. Because if you use a service like UPS or FedEx, the receiver in Canada has to pay a brokerage fee to get their package, on top of the amount they already paid you.

I just can't believe it costs $25 to ship four fleece liners to Canada - it's RIDICULOUS!! :hair:

How much does one of your liners weigh? Is it just a double layer of fleece? Or do you put in a third layer?

That honestly seems a bit high to me.

I just can't believe it costs $25 to ship four fleece liners to Canada - it's RIDICULOUS!! :hair:

Are you using flat rate shipping? I'm pretty sure that's how much flat rate shipping for a medium or large flat rate box to Canada is. Try finding a box that you can fit the liners in and taking it to the post office to see how much it would be. It may be cheaper that just using the flat rate box.

I'll have to check. I'll run to the post office with a mock box this weekend and see what the charges are.

Yeah, I would check. Because if I use the calculator for the weight of just 4 double layered liners it isn't more than $17. Still a lot but not as much as $25.

Not sure about shipping the liners to Canada but I have been corresponding with Linda at Quality Cage Co. and they now will ship to Canada using USPS instead of courier which means no more brokerage fees. I just ordered another Chin Spin and it will take six to ten days to arrive here instead of two by courier but I'm fine with that b/c last time I paid an additional $37 in brokerage fees which is a total rip off.

I'm actually coming up with about the same price as you JennyBug. I use 3 layer liners and even in a manilla envelope for just one, they weigh exactly one lb. In a box, I'm looking at 5 lbs for 4 which can only be shipped via Priority Mail to Canada and flat rate comes out the cheapest. I've had to go flat rate quite a few times before with my Canadian customers because of the high prices.

Yeah, that's why I asked if they were double or triple layered. Double layered weighs less so the shipping isn't as much. But after that then you do need to go through priority.

Back