She's peeing on the wood shelves!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

ReneeKruger

I have two female chinchillas (3 and 5 years old). They have recently started peeing in the corner of one of their shelves. I bought new shelves and sterilized the cage. Now they're peeing in that same corner! I don't want them to ruin this brand new shelf so quickly. Is there anything I can do to deter them from peeing there? I clean it up as soon as I see it, however being that it's wood, it does absorb some of it. Is there a spray or something? Help!!

You could place something like a little house in that spot to would keep them from using it as a toilet. just make sure it is attached to the cage really well so that they can't knock it sown on each other. As far as leaning the urine goes, I use peroxide on any of the pee spots on the wood.

I've a couple that do that, so I just tilted the shelves inward so it doesn't sit there, and runs off - they seened to quit, too!

I sand my shelves and houses when they get dirty, that works best for me.

thank you for all your suggestions! i found another post (after i posted this one) that suggested moving their hay there or putting the chill stone there. I've done both (lol!) and we'll see what happens. I'm up for trying anything!

I have the same situation with my one chin. He pees everywhere! I do the same as Cuddlebug and use peroxide and a stiff bristle brush to clean it and then wipe with a paper towel. This has to be done daily or else my bedroom smells of urine that has seeped into the wood. All attempts at "training" him have failed (I've been trying everything for the last 2 years).

thank you for all your suggestions! i found another post (after i posted this one) that suggested moving their hay there or putting the chill stone there. I've done both (lol!) and we'll see what happens. I'm up for trying anything!

I wouldn't move the hay there, as my boys loooove to pee in their hay that has fallen out of the hay holder. The chiller should be enough...but usually once they start peeing on the shelves, they start to pee everywhere. At least in my case. I do as the others and treat the pee spots with some peroxide, scrub that, then wipe it off with a wet cloth.

You can get a metal litter pan that attaches to the cage and put it in that corner where they love to pee!
My girl pees only where she feels safe. I had to play with a setup to finally find the spot she likes. Right now it's not far from her house, under the flying saucer wheel.

Well the chiller and hay didn't work. They just pee on the chiller (not in the hay though!) and farther out on the shelf. What's this I hear about fleece? Is that supposed to stop that too?

Well the chiller and hay didn't work. They just pee on the chiller (not in the hay though!) and farther out on the shelf. What's this I hear about fleece? Is that supposed to stop that too?

My chins pee on their fleece all the time. there really is no sure way to stop a chin from peeing where you don't want it to.

Back