Sherwood Chinchilla pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried the Sherwood pellets, but they don't look that bad.

Oddly I noticed with the smaller 3 lb bags of Oxbow my guys don't like the pellets anymore either. The pellets smell old and are a different color even though the expiration date is a couple years away. I've been getting 10 lb bags instead and the pellets are a nice greenish and smell good, I have no idea why.

Sherwood is very fresh but has no sweeteners in it so some will refuse it at first. Oxbow has molasses in it, you probably got a bad batch.

Hmm I've been considering giving Sherwood a try. For those that have tried it is there a real difference in the chin's pee as they claim on the website?

Has anyone tried Sherwood chinchilla pellets? My chins will not eat Oxbow, maybe I received a bad batch, but they do not eat anymore. https://www.amazon.com/Chinchilla-Adult-Sherwood-Pet-Health/dp/B01A1JXRK4/ref=sr_1_35?crid=249MOZ9DNUF3Q&keywords=oxbow+chinchilla+food&qid=1580058255&sprefix=oxbow,aps,138&sr=8-35&th=1. Should I try weaning off Oxbow to another pellet?
Yes I’ve used Sherwood for four years for my 8 year old Simon. I also give him good quality hay so he doesn’t get bored. He likes the pellets and is in great condition. I was told by my vet not to buy commercial pet store food. Chinchillas don’t have a gall bladder and can’t digest fats and sugars in a healthy manner. I also buy herbal supplements and treats from Rondas Chins. Her products are high quality, fresh and she gives descriptions on what herbals to feed for various conditions

Attachments

• C8D6217E-4148-41CF-B2EE-FB8F20366B99.jpeg
    C8D6217E-4148-41CF-B2EE-FB8F20366B99.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi, I purchased the pellets but they will not eat the Sherwood. I think they are used to Mazuri and Oxbow. But I keep them out in hopes they will start. What herbs do you recommend? Thanks

You will have to remove the Mazuri and do a cold switch to the Sherwood and it could take several days. Mazuri has the highest molasses/sugar content of any of the commercial feeds. If you see people post about soft/squishy poops while using it, that high sugar content is why. A good milling of it is ok, if they add just a little too much it cases them to drink a ton and a lot of wet poops. Just FYI. :)

Do you feed Sherwood? I was feeding Oxbow but they didn't eat the last bag so I switched to Mazuri and Sherwood at the same time. I did not know Mazuri has a higher sugar content then Oxbow.

Last edited:
You will have to remove the Mazuri and do a cold switch to the Sherwood and it could take several days. Mazuri has the highest molasses/sugar content of any of the commercial feeds. If you see people post about soft/squishy poops while using it, that high sugar content is why. A good milling of it is ok, if they add just a little too much it cases them to drink a ton and a lot of wet poops. Just FYI. :)
Mazuri has a higher sugar content than Oxbow? It's the 9th ingredient in Mazuri and the 7th in Oxbow.

Should I switch to Sherwood? LOL.

Mazuri has a higher sugar content than Oxbow? It's the 9th ingredient in Mazuri and the 7th in Oxbow.

Should I switch to Sherwood? LOL.
It's got timothy, oats, beet pulp and molasses, all are sources of sugar and can be high depending on processing. Also, the ingredients are just listed most to least. It could be 7% molasses at 9th, nobody knows. I do know that it smells sweeter than Oxbow.

I've switched my chin to Sherwood. At first he would eat the pellets but then he started to prefer his usual Oxbow and pick those out to eat. So I did a cold switch and at first he didn't eat much of it but eventually started to eat the regular amount. I emailed the people at Sherwood and they were very helpful! They said chins will eat less of Sherwood pellets because they're richer so they don't need to eat as much to feel full.

So far so good though, there was a small bout of soft poops but that went away with a bit of rolled oats. His urine has been looking good too, no cloudy stuff. I have noticed he eats more hay now than he did when he was on Oxbow, so I guess that's a good thing!

I recently switched my chin back to Oxbow after being on Sherwood for a few months. (it was getting expensive!) After switching back to Oxbow he gained about 10-15 grams! He was about 515-520 on Sherwood, and now he's around 530~ on Oxbow. He does really prefer the taste of Oxbow more so he always eats at least the 2tbsp, with Sherwood he would eat maybe 1tbsp, and more hay.

I recently switched my chin back to Oxbow after being on Sherwood for a few months. (it was getting expensive!) After switching back to Oxbow he gained about 10-15 grams! He was about 515-520 on Sherwood, and now he's around 530~ on Oxbow. He does really prefer the taste of Oxbow more so he always eats at least the 2tbsp, with Sherwood he would eat maybe 1tbsp, and more hay.
This is normal. Sherwood is a lean food with no fat or sugars - so your chin was very lean and more like an athelete. This is also why the urine changes. Oxbow is like the traditional western diet so he will pack on a bit of fat but that is ok. It is whatever you can afford that is fresh and keeps him in good health. :)

This is normal. Sherwood is a lean food with no fat or sugars - so your chin was very lean and more like an athelete. This is also why the urine changes. Oxbow is like the traditional western diet so he will pack on a bit of fat but that is ok. It is whatever you can afford that is fresh and keeps him in good health. :)
Haha he does love his Oxbow cheeseburger and fries!

Back