Shedding? Fur slipping? :/

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinnie love

Hi
I've had two chinchillas for around three years now, and there's been a weird development with one of them. She appears to be shedding, but its gone on for too long at this point. My instant thought was fur pulling/fur slipping, but it's happening around her head too, where she can't reach. She's not losing fur, the fur regrows, she just seems to be eternally shedding. I'm so confused...

I have two chins that are fur chewers. One of them seems to give himself a trim (i.e.- the fur is shortened and he doesn't typically have bald spots, the other chin looks like he has a ring around his head/shoulder area and the fur is totally missing. Does your chin seem fine other than the fur issue? Fur chewing can be a behavior or genetic issue or a sign of an underlying issue.
Random thought: Is there something in the cage that your chin could be rubbing against?

Other than the possible fur chewing, she does seem fine. She's a little skittish, but she's a rescue chin coming from a stressful environment. Stayed at the shelter for three months before she found her home :(
But she's eating, drinking, and loves playtime (she's the energetic one of the bunch.) She runs on her wheel like a normal chin and has adapted well to our home. Loves to be pet behind the ear.
In response to your other question, actually yes. Occasionally I see some of her fur caught on the bars of the cage (not attached to her of course!) And, she's chewed the entrance to her wooden hidey-house so it's a little jagged. Not a splinter hazard, but she could possibly be rubbing against it.
Thank you!

Back