Quantcast

Shedding? Fur slipping? :/

chinnie love

Hi
I've had two chinchillas for around three years now, and there's been a weird development with one of them. She appears to be shedding, but its gone on for too long at this point. My instant thought was fur pulling/fur slipping, but it's happening around her head too, where she can't reach. She's not losing fur, the fur regrows, she just seems to be eternally shedding. I'm so confused...

Dragonflye

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two chins that are fur chewers. One of them seems to give himself a trim (i.e.- the fur is shortened and he doesn't typically have bald spots, the other chin looks like he has a ring around his head/shoulder area and the fur is totally missing. Does your chin seem fine other than the fur issue? Fur chewing can be a behavior or genetic issue or a sign of an underlying issue.
Random thought: Is there something in the cage that your chin could be rubbing against?

chinnie love

Other than the possible fur chewing, she does seem fine. She's a little skittish, but she's a rescue chin coming from a stressful environment. Stayed at the shelter for three months before she found her home :(
But she's eating, drinking, and loves playtime (she's the energetic one of the bunch.) She runs on her wheel like a normal chin and has adapted well to our home. Loves to be pet behind the ear.
In response to your other question, actually yes. Occasionally I see some of her fur caught on the bars of the cage (not attached to her of course!) And, she's chewed the entrance to her wooden hidey-house so it's a little jagged. Not a splinter hazard, but she could possibly be rubbing against it.
Thank you!

Latest posts