Severe eye swelling - any advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EkaterinaS23

We have a beautiful male chinchie but about 2 weeks ago we found him with one eye shut. We took him to the vet who prescribed some drops but two days later there was severe worsening. The eye was swollen and white inside.

We took the little one to exotic ophthalmologists and they discovered melting eye ulcer and swelling inside the eye. They suggested eye removal but we don’t want to go down the surgery root if the eye can be saved. They prescribed metacam, biatril and local eye drops. We went for a checkup after a week and ulceration on eye surface is still present but less but the swelling is still considerable with no cause established.

I attach some photos of the progress. First photo is a week or so before the second one. Ulcer is better but swelling is still there. I would really appreciate if anyone has any advice or has gone through a similar experience? We really want to avoid eye surgery and will try to save the eye if possible. Does anyone know what could be the cause or how to reduce the uveitis (swelling)? Does anyone know how long eye swelling can last in chinchillas?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 186D22CE-5FE1-4FDD-A791-83C9F9034B93.jpeg
    186D22CE-5FE1-4FDD-A791-83C9F9034B93.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • B3E26B91-7FFA-4249-894B-15618AE9AC62.jpeg
    B3E26B91-7FFA-4249-894B-15618AE9AC62.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
You need to get her teeth checked with x-rays ASAP. I've had this happen before and it's because a molar is pressing into the eye socket. My vet also thought that it was an ulcer, but it turned out to be severe malocclusion.

You need to get her teeth checked with x-rays ASAP. I've had this happen before and it's because a molar is pressing into the eye socket. My vet also thought that it was an ulcer, but it turned out to be severe malocclusion.
Thank you so much for the info. How did you resolve it with the malocclusion?

Our chinchies eye has burst on the weekend. The vets here seem to think best option is to remove the eye but I’m quite worried about general anaesthesia for the little one.

I did not resolve it. The eye burst, I had the eye removed, and she later passed away. Malo does not have a good prognosis, no matter what is done. I'm sorry. If the eye did burst from malo, that means her teeth grew through the eye socket and ruptured the eye. Now that the eye is gone, again, if it was malo, that root will continue to grow and do more damage.

I did not resolve it. The eye burst, I had the eye removed, and she later passed away. Malo does not have a good prognosis, no matter what is done. I'm sorry. If the eye did burst from malo, that means her teeth grew through the eye socket and ruptured the eye. Now that the eye is gone, again, if it was malo, that root will continue to grow and do more damage.
I am sorry to hear that. Your little one passed away during surgery or some time after? I am really nervous about the eye surgery, particularly when he is quite active and jumping and eating well.

I am sorry to hear that. Your little one passed away during surgery or some time after? I am really nervous about the eye surgery, particularly when he is quite active and jumping and eating well.
Thank you. She passed away about two weeks after surgery.

Hello, any updates on your chinchie?

Back