Separation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

How long can bonded chins be separated until their bond is broken, example being one of them needs to go to the vet?

It can take weeks or more to break the bond, however it's best to bring both to the vet if you can so they both smell like the vet. It's very common if one stays home for it to reject the one that went to the vet when then they first come home because he smells different. :rolleyes: Once the smell fades or if you rub both with a fleece or dust bath to remove the scent they go back to normal. Taking both can also help with stress since they have their buddy with them.

Yeah, I'll bring both if one has to go to the vet. But since they've been accustomed to the carrier, they now get very fussy once inside instead of scared, which results in them attempting to chew the plastic. The carrier I'm using is a dog carrier, so the walls are plastic with a metal door. Are there any fully metal or chew-proof carriers that aren't extremely expensive? It'll be a while until they go back into the carrier, hopefully a year unless heavens forbid we need to take them to the vet sooner, but I'd like to get a different carrier at some point.

Oh my gosh, thank you so much. Could I use this for their carrier and their dust bath area?

Yep, that is actually exactly what I do. :) Here is a video of my guys in their bath house/travel cage.

You're amazing, thank you for answering my questions and helping me out as a new chin owner in the past few months. :) What size is the candy jar you have?

Yep no problem, I'm here to help. :) It's a one gallon jar, I'd get a 2 gallon one if I could find one at a decent price though since they do seem kind of squished when they both decide to use it at the same time.

I found two 0.5 gallon jars for $20, would that work or no?

I don't think a full grown chin is going to fit in a .5 gallon jar. I got mine at walmart I think it was around $20.

Alright, that's what I thought. Amazon has pretty suck-y choices for my price range, unfortunately. Luckily I already planned to go to Walmart this evening, so I'll see what I can find.

Back