seems a bit lazy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luci

Gizmo's roommate
so maybe im just being a new paranoid chin mommy, but i cant help but feel like gizmo is acting different. he eats normaly, drinks water , runs and jumps during play time, and poops like a good chin.

he just went into his cage about an hour ago, munched on some hay, and is now sleeping. i know this doesnt sound like a big deal, but he doesnt seem as active when he's in his cage. i gave him a chew toy when he was done eating and he just pushed it away and if he gets in his wheel, he just kinda jogs for a second and stops.

perhaps its nothing, but im overwhelmed with the amount of information on diseases and illnesses, so what in particular should i be looking for? how do i know when he's sick or not feeling well?

First off, take a deep breath. Even though chins are more active at night, doesn't mean they can't be sleepy at night too. He may not have been in the mood for the treat and you said you just had play time-I always do play time before I go to sleep (get out of work at 11 pm) so that they'll let me get to bed at night!

The difficult thing about a chinchilla is that they don't show signs of illness until it's pretty bad. But don't worry-there are some signs you can watch out for.

Lack of eating or drinking, changes in poop color size or smell (but I mean big changes...this is usually the first sign of something being wrong. Keep in mind that their poops will change throughout the day though, so it would have to be things like soft poop, or a bad odor. Not just a couple of little ones). Always keep an eye to check for eye goup or wet chins (no pun intended). Soon you'll get to know your chin well enough to sense when more things are not what they should be. You'll figure it out soon enough-so calm down a bit-your stress is their stress now.

Keep up with the info intake and you should do fine!!!

Back