Scooting close to my hand?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17862

So i haven't had my chins for very long (only for 1,5 weeks now) - I got them from the shelter and they are somewhat used to humans but of course still a little skittish. So I am spending time with them every day to get them used to me, talking to them and handing them little snacks and letting them sniff me. The smaller one, Viktor, has been a lot more trusting compared to when I first got him (and its also made him brave enough to hop out of the cage twice already lol absolute escape artist) but he does this thing.. that I am not sure how to describe so I wanted to ask if anyone knows what that means?

So I will hold my hand up to the ledge he's sitting on, usually flat with a snack on my palm and he will take the snack and sniff my hand - all fairly normal from what I can tell. But then he kinda... scoots as close as he can to the edge of the platform, like he's trying to get his butt onto my hand, but never actually leaving the platform, remaining seated on his hind legs the entire time while scooting around a little. Sometimes he will put his front paws on my hand for balance but for the most part he's just kinda sitting on the edge of the platform? shuffling around like he's unsure if he wants to sit on my hand? :,D

Its hard to explain so I can try to take a video next time if I get the chance - but if anyone has any idea already I'd love to know!

I think I know what you are talking about, it's fairly common behavior, they do that when they like you. They do that little shuffle thing when they are investigating something they aren't sure of but they find interesting.

Aww.. thank you for the reply that makes me happy to hear!

Especially since Viktor was so stressed at the beginning of arriving here that we couldnt even scoop him out of the transport box - barking and trying to bite whoever got too close. And now that hes so chill and getting closer to me is really awesome to see ❤️

Now i just gotta hope I get to see that cute shuffle with my chubby boy Jayce too ❤️

Back