Scared/Stressed Chin... PLEASE HELP!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyLiliLove

SassyChinchillasRescue
When I rescued Sky she had TONS of matts on her belly and i went to try to get them out and she bit me. I finally just took her to the vet and they took care of it.
Now she doesn't want anything to do with me or my roommate. She pees on me and my other chins when they come near her. She will even sit outside the cage of my other female and pee at her. She doesn't bark but makes the coughing warning sound when I'm even near her cage, putting food or changing water in her cage.
Anytime I pick her up for playtime she releases fur and when i do get her out she just runs, hides in a corner and does nothing.
It's been almost two months since i got her and she does't seem to be improving. I work with her everyday for at least an hour. I give her treats, put my hand in/around the cage so she can sniff it but she bites it, not hard, it's actually more of a warning nibble.
She "throws" her food, hay and droppings out of her cage.
She also sits in he cage and chatters her teeth all the time.
I knew she wasn't treated well before I got her but maybe she was abused or something.
What do I do?

Proud Mommy Of:
Chinchillas: Sassy,Sky,Batman,Pepper,Jekyll,Hyde
Degus: Lily,Rose
Hamsters: Nibbler,Who,Serenity

Attachments

• Sky (1).jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 12
Just keep being patient with her and most of all, give her as much time as she needs. Don't push her. She may always be like this, or she may come around. When I have a difficult chin I sit my hand in their cage, palm up, with a treat in my palm. Talk gently and move minimally. I let them come to me and get the treat on their own terms. Then I slowly start trying to scritch/pick up, just gauging how they react and go from there.

Just keep being patient with her and most of all, give her as much time as she needs. Don't push her. She may always be like this, or she may come around. When I have a difficult chin I sit my hand in their cage, palm up, with a treat in my palm. Talk gently and move minimally. I let them come to me and get the treat on their own terms. Then I slowly start trying to scritch/pick up, just gauging how they react and go from there.

I tried exactly that last night and she decided to pee on my face. EEWWWW!:vomit:

Been there, done that. I have one that fits that description here now. She is the swweetest thing when I finally can pick her up and hold her calmly ( I can even hold her like a baby and she will go to sleep), but trying to pick her up terrifies her. I have had her for 4 months and the biting and spraying have stopped but she still panics when I reach for her. She is going to take a lot more time and effort on my part, but I love her and will give her anything she needs. I refuse to give up. She will stay with me as long as it takes. I actually had someone who wanted to adopt her for their daughter. I told them no way. I kid is not what Melly needs.

Patience. And i wouldn't try to force anything. If she doesn't want to be messed with, don't mess with her if you don't have to. If shes scared when she comes out, don't let her out. That could only frighten her more. And it could make her less trusting of you.

It will take a long time to gain her trust after all she went through

I know it will.

So what does it mean when i pet her and she opens her mouth. it looks like a yawn but i am not sure. she recently started to do this and it worries me that she might bite. she hasn't yet but i don't want to risk it. Any ideas?

Also i found her "sweet spot"! she likes to be pet in between her eyes. she calms down immediately and closes her eyes like it comforts her. :)

Back