Scam

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

I just want to let people know that I believe there is a new scam going around. Some may know I had a sale going on and I actually sold most of our overload. But I had one person, and I don't even know their gender, who kept contacting me and always never quite made the sale. Tonight they were to show up between 4 and 6 to pick up a chin and didn't. I had feelings about them from the start, not asking questions about the care of the animals. Not too unusual if they had done their homework, but I just didn't feel right. At one point I even said, "I'm not sure if I can sell to you . . . "

My conclusion is this; and it's only to warn people, not to be hysterical. I think they (in the corporate sense) were trying to buy animals to resell at much higher prices. They never talked about a cage or anything. So I just want to warn you all. I'll be a little more on guard as a result too, it's hard because you want to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Blessings,

Ohh like animal flippers? I heard about a case like that near where I lived. Unfortunately, it happened to a breeder I know =( She did end up getting the chin back though. Thanks for the warning though! I know it happens a lot on craigslist =/

I know, these types of people are all over. They always make me feel uneasy or they let something slip that tells me what they are trying to pull. Fortunately for me it takes a little effort for people to come all the way out here to see the chins so most of the shady people just leave me alone.

Craigslist people are very often just trying to get animals and things cheaper so that they can sell everything later. I WISH I could get as much for chins as those people manage to get. Oh well...it's more important that I find good homes, the money isn't nearly as important.

Its been happening for many years. You would be amazed at how many people call or email looking for background on a jags animal we never even sold! They claim to have bought them from someone but could not get pedigree info from them on them so contact us. In our chin program we record all animals sold and who they are sold to, but I am sure many people take the persons word for it and never know what they really got. I also just love seeing old animals of ours being sold for a bunch more than was ever paid for them. I guess it just comes down to people will be people and not all are honest and practice scrupulous practices. People also pay way more for older animals than I ever would.

Around here - nobody wants 'older chins' (older than 1 year old). I have to sell them at a very low price to find homes for them (either my retired one or young rescues).

I'm sure it's been going on for quite some time. And I will say for my experience, selling my chins, I've mostly sold pets. Sometimes to breeders with a handful at a time. But it's been a great experience as a whole, seeing the young person with eyes all happy & excited with their very special pet. This was quite different, with haggling from the start; ie., what about a multiple chin discount (they were on sale as it was), what about driving to meet them halfway (I don't think sooooo), wanting a male & female (and then when I told them they couldn't be housed together because they were so young, it changed to just a "pet".) Finally making an appointment and wasting my time by not showing. I don't want to besmirch anyone, but they were foreign and it was difficult to understand them even in over 64 emails.

Sigh . . .

My rule is if you cannot be bothered to put proper grammar/punctuation in your email and sign off with your name , you're not worthy of a response from me. I have found 98% of serious buyers send more than a "I want this" email.

Back