Safe wood, two questions.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diva Chins

We have a maple tree (two of them I think) and a Bradford pear. I was wondering if these are safe? I've been looking around on a few websites and can't find them on the safe list or the unsafe list. Thanks!

I had an epiphany. I found two websites that back each other up saying Maple is unsafe, but what about the bradford pear? My next question is:
In order for it to be kiln dried, what are the requirements? I can't remember to save my life.
Also, how do people prepare these enormous perches? I can't think of any way to fit it into a pot for boiling

I do. I use scotch brite scouring pads and scrub it until I start to see the green layer underneath (on applewood) or I until I get blisters.:winkers:

I knows, I've lived here since I was born, nothing has been sprayed, dad is too lazy for it :hilarious:
Can I ask how did this turn out? I have a bradford pear I want to cut some perches out of some branches. Need to make sure it's ok for them

Can I ask how did this turn out? I have a bradford pear I want to cut some perches out of some branches. Need to make sure it's ok for them
Bradford pear is a type of pear, so it should be safe so long as it hasn't been treated with pesticides and you prepare it properly (first scrub the crap out of it, then boil, then bake at low heat until dry).

My work has an organic orchard, so I've helped myself to some twigs of apple and pear wood to give to my chin. Preparing the wood does take a little time and effort, but given how much chewing material chins need, it definitely saves some money! Even still, I don't have the time or patience to prepare ALL the wood she needs to chew (plus I don't want to remove too much material from the trees at work), so I still just buy the bulk of her chewing wood. But there's definitely something satisfying about giving her sticks I collected and prepared myself, and it's certainly nice to have a backup supply of free chew-safe wood! I haven't tried to make any of my own perches yet, but I may take a crack at it in the future.

Back