Safe Treats For Baby Chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gehenna

Hey all! Was wondering if there were any safe treats to give a 4 month old chin? I know he can't have most things since he's too young, but I feel bad leaving him out and not being able to eat anything his brother gets. Thanks!

Since he is still too young for real treats you can give her chew sticks, hand feed pellets, or pieces of different hay then you normally. Chew sticks work the best as "treats" since there is so many kinds of chin safe wood you can get a variety and rotate them. Ronda's Chinchillas has the most assortment I've seen, and the wood is great. There are other vendors on here too, or you can prepare wood yourself if you have access to any chin safe trees (pesticide/chemical free it's whole life and a type of wood on the chin safe list).

Thanks so much! Do you have any recommendations as to which sticks your chins prefer? I know Barkley likes apple wood, but Atlas isn't so keen on them. I'll buy Atlas some for his Christmas gift C:

Well as you see with your two every chin has different preferences. My two love apple and pear about the same (favorite of both), but also love willow (weeping willow to be specific). I have a whole assortment though, so I rotate the chew sticks from day to day as to what I offer. Another thing I noticed is with some wood, like blackberry, they don't like it as a chew stick, but destroy it over night if I make hanging toys out if it.

Back