Safe to store supplies on top of a chinchilla cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I've recently have been storing some of my Lighter chinchilla supplies on too of the cage. Not very much, but their toys, treats and things. Some are stored in plastic, but I have a half inch thick layer of fleece underneath where the supplies sit so the chins can't get to them.

Is storing supplies like this safe?

I have all sorts of stuff on the top of the boy's cages. Dale's dust bath and dust canister, treats, extra liners, and sticks. As long of it is not in plastic bags that they can pull through the bars it should be fine. I try to store everything in glass so I don't have to worry about plastic chewing.

Only you know if it's okay to store stuff on top of your cage. Is it a sturdy cage? Does the stuff weigh three tons? It's really a common sense thing, isn't it? If the cage is wobbly, don't store on top of it. If it's sturdy, it's fine. I'm sure you've seen about 100 pictures on the forum where people store their stuff on top of cages. They have no problems, why would you?

Quality Cage Company cages can be stacked on top of each other, so I know they can handle things stored up top. As long as the chin cannot get to something like plastic or cardboard, and the cage is sturdy, it should be fine.

I think it is fine, just be careful about storing plastic bags or items you wouldn't want them to chew on because somehow they do find a way. I once had a container of blue cloud dust and somehow Gizmo nibbled the corner of the plastic container despite it being no where near a shelf. I woke up to find the entirrreeeee container of dust emptied into her cage. She is usually black, she was gray that day. She was happy...it was like she struck gold!!!! Now she goes after everything I put up there.

I have a large flat piece of cardboard on top of two of my cages and I store the fleece liners on top of those. One cage has the old plastic FN pans on top and I store my carriers on top of that. It is mostly going to depend on how devious and smart your chin(s) are, lol.

I won't store stuff on top of my cage, partly because everything I put up there the chins try to chew. lol. Misty's idea of cardboard on top and then storing stuff would work.

Devils Advocate- I once had a container stored on a cage with wider bar spacing (similar to the FN)...it was a heavier container but the cage was sturdy. No issue there. The issue was when the chinchilla in the cage decided to try chewing at the container...he got his teeth wedged between the container and the cage (I know, freak incident)...and freaked out. If I hadn't been home I could easily have found him dead later that day. The only items I store are dust bins with minimal dust.

I went to Home Depot with my FN measurements and had them cut me wood to put on top. I store lots of stuff on top of the wood. I've never had a problem.

Back