Safe bath houses

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket29

Rocket&Bilbo
Hi, I'm searching for a safe, durable bath house that can prevent most of the dust from flying out. I'm currently using a cardboard box but it's difficult for the chinchillas to have full contact with the dust on the flat surface. The Kaytee Chinchilla Bath House seems to be a popular choice, but I usually avoid Kaytee products (since most of the time they aren't safe.) Is this dust bath safe and if not what do you recommend?
Any response is helpful,
Thanks.

The kaytee ones are ok, the dust bath doesn't stay in the cage so it shouldn't be a problem that it's plastic. Personally I use a one gallon glass candy jar, I use to have a plastic one but it broke over time (top and bottom separated). To help contain the mess you can try putting the dust bath in a small carrier, cage, or box. Some people just put the bath house in the bath tub or shower so you just wash the dust down the drain.

I have a plastic one that looks like a house which I put on a towel for her bath. She sometimes digs at the dust so this helps maintain a relatively clean area. I then fold the towel up when done and shake out.

I have the kaytee one, it works. He gets a bath twice a week during playtime, where he is always supervised so I am not worried about him eating the plastic. Playtime/bathtime is also in the bathroom which has a tile floor, makes it easy to just sweep up after him when he is done.

Back