Safe air fresheners for chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittymuff

So I asked this question on the chinchilla subreddit, and I got an answer saying soy candles and simmering potpourri, are these safe and not going to irritate my chin's nose? Any recommendations are helpful! Thanks

I personally wouldn't use any candles if it's in the same room as the chinchilla, or anything with oils, since I'd assume you would want scented candles not just plain. Depending on what you use for the simmering potpourri it might be ok. Try to avoid anything with irrating or strong smells, but otherwise it should be safe, no different then cooking.

Another safe option would be to just use those odor absorbers, like the charcoal bag ones or the little container of odor absorbing beads. Since those don't give off any smell they just absorb it they shouldn't be an issue.

If this is odor control from your chin, then I would say more frequent cage cleanings rather than scented stuff. I've got a barn full of chins and all you smell is fresh pine shavings.

Chins have very delicate respiratory systems and I personally would not use any scented things around them.

I personally wouldn't use any candles if it's in the same room as the chinchilla, or anything with oils, since I'd assume you would want scented candles not just plain. Depending on what you use for the simmering potpourri it might be ok. Try to avoid anything with irrating or strong smells, but otherwise it should be safe, no different then cooking.

Another safe option would be to just use those odor absorbers, like the charcoal bag ones or the little container of odor absorbing beads. Since those don't give off any smell they just absorb it they shouldn't be an issue.
Ok thank you! I'll stick with the potpourri :)

If this is odor control from your chin, then I would say more frequent cage cleanings rather than scented stuff. I've got a barn full of chins and all you smell is fresh pine shavings.

Chins have very delicate respiratory systems and I personally would not use any scented things around them.
My chin doesn't have any smell but her fleece has a little bit of a scent. How often should I wash and swap out her bedding?

My chin doesn't have any smell but her fleece has a little bit of a scent. How often should I wash and swap out her bedding?
It depends on how much she pees on it. My chin is pretty good about peeing in her litter box, so I change her fleece liners once a week, but if your chin is peeing on the fleece a lot, you might need to change it more often, like 2-3 times a week.

It depends on how much she pees on it. My chin is pretty good about peeing in her litter box, so I change her fleece liners once a week, but if your chin is peeing on the fleece a lot, you might need to change it more often, like 2-3 times a week.
I don't have a litter box for her, what do you recommend? Like maybe a metal container?

I don't have a litter box for her, what do you recommend? Like maybe a metal container?
I use a heavy glass baking dish, but something ceramic or metal would also work. I fill it with aspen shavings to absorb the urine and change it out daily.

Chins will often pick a spot in their cage to pee naturally (usually a corner), so you can try to find the spot where she seems to pee the most and put the litter box in that spot.

Back