Sad news...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bairnns

I lost one of my boys. The white mosaic, Pippin, simply died one night. He was fine the previous day, eating and playing and socializing, no soft poops or any other sign of illness, no blood or injury or excretions on his body. :( Just happens sometimes I guess. Pippen came to me under unusual circumstances- he was found loose inside someone else's home, they contacted a friend of mine, who passed him on to me. All that and he didn't get loose stools, and was quite friendly. I am happy that I had him for the time I did, and he had a good life while he was here. I'd had him about 3-4 months and he's been gone a couple of weeks now.

So now Puck, the baby boy I got for Pippin's cagemate, is going solo. That's good for now, he's getting more social with me, and of course I want to be sure he's healthy, but eventually I'll want to get him a new cagemate so he's not lonely when I'm busy. I started building the cage I've been planning on today, and figure that when its done I'll look around. That way they can start out in new territory.

I have two standards, a Black TOV, a tan wrap and a violet..will be looking for a color I don't have yet. If anyone has any suggestions in the Los Angeles area I'm listening...

Lori and...
Poppet, Posie, Pixie, Peaches, Puck and
Pippin ^o^

So sorry to hear that your little one passed. That is difficult to endure. I am too far away, perhaps you should check out some rescues in your area, sometimes they have mutation colors.

aw I am sorry to hear that, poor little guy.

RIP Pippin

Sorry to hear about the loss. It's never easy to lose one of these sweet, furry little ones.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is to lose one of these little guys and it just makes you feel so empty.

When you're ready, I'm sure there are plenty of people in your area who can help you fill that hole with a new little furball, but for now, just take time remembering the good times with your lost boy.

Thank you all for your sympathies...

No, he wasn't loose in the home. I have two sets of dog xpen fences; I set them up and they have playtime within the fenced area. Not much to chew on except what I put in there- cardboard tubes, a couple of baskets, a pine climbing structure I built, stuff like that. Plus I am in there with them. More I research, more I suspect he was just one of those unlucky few with a heart problem. I do miss him, of my six he was the second most friendly. But these things happen with pets, especially little ones, and I've been around long enough to take it as it goes.

I've been searching rescues and breeders for a few days, but not finding anything too interesting, so I figured input from here couldn't hurt. I know of a couple of breeders I can buy from; Peaches is a pet-quality chin from Bowen's for example. But she's pretty shy, and I suspect they don't handle the babies much; they are just too large-scale for it to be possible. I know that I was told there the best way to catch them was to grab the base of the tail; tried it for a week or so and only succeeded in really traumatizing them all. So I'm looking around for both a pretty color and either a rehomed pet or a small breeder who handles the babies. I got Puck from the latter, in Orange County, but her website indicates that she has had to discontinue breeding chins due to health issues. That was a few months ago- must have been barely a month after I bought Puck from her- so what's left at this point is probably not her best choices, tho I'll probably shoot her an e-mail just to check...

Meanwhile, work on the cage will continue today. I got the basic cabinet finished yesterday and need to caulk and then start the shelves and door.

Lori

hey lori,
i am sorry you lost peppin.
it is hard to tell how a chin would have been personality wise had it grown up in a different environment. some of my chins are shy and some are out going and i am very small scale. furthermore, some that are shy initially do warm up to humans as they get older and are socialized to a particular family setting. some are just shy by nature and no amount of handling as kits will convince them that it is fun; i call them my "autistikit" chins :D

some even mellow as they get much MUCH older...

My condolences! Last month I went into my chin room and found Talyn had died. Same thing...had been perfectly fine the days leading up, no loose stool, eating, playing with me, etc. Don't know what happened. Its always a shock...

Back