Running Saucer maintenance

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohhnyBishop

Hi All,
I hope you and your chinchillas are doing OK during the planned pandemic.
I have the following running saucer I got 2nd hand.

I think these at some point need bearing replaced.
I have come across this manufacturer in US but I am in UK so this must be imported from there but I don't see option for international shipment on their website.
FlyingSaucerWheels.com
Currently I have 3 chinchillas running on it all night and I am worried this is not going to last long.
Please advise.
Best regards

Last edited:
I have the same one, they use to sell them through dealers internationally (that is how I got mine in Canada), they still do ship outside the US but you now have to e-mail them for international shipping (if you scroll about half way down on the home page you will see the e-mail address). Anyways, I've had mine for over 8 years and it still seems to be going as smooth as new with 2 chins using it daily, and I've never had to do more then just wipe the running surface clean. If you do need to change the bearing though here is the website's instructions.
Flying Saucer Exercise Wheel Bearing Removal and Replacement

Hi again,
I can see that the manufacturer of these awesome flying saucers has retired in June 2021.
Do we have any good alternatives on the market? I cannot find.
Best regards

Hi Thank you for all your replies.
I can see TicTac is 16" and cheaper (made in UK) while Chin Spin is 15" and more expensive I reckon the price difference is because of high shipping costs from US.
Chin Spin looks like is wider than TicTac though.

@Rocknrolldoc
I agree, one of my new CONVID policies is to buy directly from sellers/manufacturers. In most cases it's cheaper and better for these small business entities while we experience the biggest money and power grab of the corporations perhaps in our lifetime.

I know the maker of Flying Saucers who retired at 78 years old but I reckon CONVID and general economic downturn helped him make this decision (perhaps inflated prices of the materials he uses to make the saucers).

I checked qualitycage.com once again and shipping + duty taxes makes up 63% of the order.
Does it mean everything has to come either from China or a local market otherwise it does not make sense to order things from abroad.
China's shipping fees are nothing comparing to what US has to offer. A next stage of trade wars.

Back