Running on the outside of the wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appy

When I first gave Elliette her 15' chin spin she would run inside of it. Then she started running on the outside of the wheel (on top) sometimes and running inside the wheel other times. Sort of back and forth, in and out. Now though, she will only run on the top. Is there a need for concern with this or is this okay? Should I just move the wheel up so it sits just underneath the shelf above it instead of leaving some space? My only concern with that is that she will not be able to safely use the wheel at all from the ground level of her mansion. I tried to search around a bit before posting, but all I found were vague comments about some other chins doing this. I suppose I would just like to ensure it is okay behavior to condone and also if it is more of a health risk or an out-right indicator of such. She appears healthy, happy and hungry.

I have one that did it before I got him a flying saucer. I ended up putting a shelf directly above the wheel because he had a cage mate and he would try to start running on top at the same time the other chin was running in side the wheel, which obviously didn't work out.

As long as the wheel is on the ground level of the cage and the fall from the top isn't high, she'll probably be ok.

No matter how much space you leave, she'll find a way! We left maybe 2-3 inches above the cage and guess who can still crawl on the top of the wheel and wiggle around?

Sounds like your chin is being a chin :)

I had one chin who got under the wheel on her back with legs up and she ran the wheel that way. Silliest thing I ever saw - chins are such silly creatures

Awesome replies. Thanks all. The wheel is as low as it can go and the fall is not far at all so I guess that's just how she prefers to do it! I wish I could post a video, but I'm not the most tech savvy :/

Back