Rosehips: Crushed or Whole?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinmama

I've only given whole rosehips, and my guys love those. What is the preference of your chins, for those who have used both?

I don't think they care! I like whole, it is just more fun, and easy.

I've only ever used the crushed rose hips b/c I read about other people saying how the whole rose hips have some sort of itchy scratchy substance that bothers chinchillas' mouths and they paw at it.

Kumiko haaaates the whole rosehips because they make his nose itch so he gets them crushed. The rest don't seem to mind at all.

Binx unfortunately likes the whole rosehips better- but I hate them! The little fibers stick into my fingers- I mean, it doesn't hurt, but it is annoying!

Yeah, I have one chin who just barks at me if I try to give him a rosehip. He hates the prickly things, but the rest just make funny faces when they get a prickle. It is cute. I think I like the whole ones because they have to hold them, and their little hands are just so darn cute- that is my favorite part. I think they like to hold them too.

I buy the crushed ones and feed them to Idgie by hand as a treat. She takes them pretty gently, though they are really small.

I mix the crushed rose hips with rolled oats and give them all a little pinch when I put them back in at night. They all eat them out of my hand and they hold their little paws on my fingers. So cute. :D

I like the crushed ones, somehow last time I gave my chinchilla a whole rosehip the itchy stuff in the middle got all over my face so I am not a big fan of whole ones haha, but thankfully my chins arent picky.

I have used whole since i have had Tika. She gets some enjoyment out of tearing into them, and she gets her vitamins.

I have feed all my chins over 2 years now the whole rosehips and never had a problem. They go nuts when I put them in their treat dish. They bag for more, but I will not give into them for more.

Our guys like either, but when they break open the whole ones, they give it to me to pick out the seeds and furry stuff lol Then I have to give it back them

Rose Hips

As treats I give them hole. And crush them when I mix mine into my grain supplement.

Mine don't seem to prefer one over the other. I think the whole rose hips might be more convenient, because you can just hand one to them through the cage, and they'll gleefully pluck it from your fingers.

I have one chin that will eat whole rosehips. The other 3 like the cut and sifted ones. I like to add the cut and sifted ones to some oats for a treat.

Mine all like them whole. Though, I've never tried the crushed rosehips. Stupid question - is it like a fine powder? Or more like just small pieces? Cause if it is more like a powder, I just can't imagine a chin like somehow eating that? I guess I've just never seen the crushed ones so I don't know what they're like.

Mine all like them whole. Though, I've never tried the crushed rosehips. Stupid question - is it like a fine powder? Or more like just small pieces? Cause if it is more like a powder, I just can't imagine a chin like somehow eating that? I guess I've just never seen the crushed ones so I don't know what they're like.

They're just small pieces, like a rosehip that was hit with a hammer.

Back