roach infestation i need help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! We had to deal with the pests in Hawaii. Sucked though when the neighbors would tarp the house, or if our house was done, because they would just go back and forth. Didn't matter how clean of a house you kept. I did watch Bill the exterminator guy. He treated a vets office where they did rehab for baby critters. They used something called eugenol oil. It was safe around animals. He also put bait down too, but can't recall what kind.

Bengal roach spray. Specially made in the south, get the six month variety. Take the chins out when you spray, you can bring them back in when it airs/dries. It uses permethrin which is non-toxic.

Obviously, I do this every six months because there are lots of bugs here. I've only gotten the giant 3" long tree roaches though - sorry you have to experience the nasty kind.

Yea, Billy the Exterminator is hilarious and a good example of what you find in southern Louisiana.

lol thanks tara..

so far i have found a few dead ones which means it apparently is working i hope...just got to knock them all out..yuck, im scared to be in my room lol

Just be careful of using products repeatedly with the same class of insecticides (the Bengal Tara mentioned contains a pyrethroid). This can lead to resistance which is esecially common amongst pyrethroids. Rotating to insecticides of different classes is good practice in an Integrated Pest Management program. Otherwise, a year from now you may end up with a population of "super bugs" which are no longer killed by your product of choice.

This is just one of the reasons why bed bugs are such a problem in the US right now!

YUCK!! Before we moved to our current house, I had never even seen a "wild" roach, only feeder bugs. The first time I saw one, I started sobbing because I thought it meant our house was dirty. We were lucky - we get only the occasional roach, and they are the kind that tend to come from the woods to get out of the cold. We have never seen any babies, and they have never appeared in food, pet food, etc. They are big and gross looking, but they don't seem to multiply in the house. I would probably have to move out temporarily if they did!

Since you have tried something already, see if it works. If it doesn't, hire a professional. They will be much more thorough, and they will have a much better idea of the type of roach you're dealing with.

Good luck, and sorry you have to go through this! :(

Back