RIP Gizmo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

vickym1984

Our chinchilla, gizmo died this morning from GI Stasis

He seemed fine until yesterday, eating, drinking, playing etc

Last night he seemed a bit tired, but was still running about when we were trying to get him at the end of playtime.

Woke up this morning, 11 hours later, and he was very listless

Took him straight to the vet who diagnosed GI stasis

He just detoriated rapidly whilst there, and had to be put to sleep because he was so weak he wouldn't have survived the op to clear his gut

Still in shock that yesterday we had a seemily healthy chin and today he is dead

Thankyou, I guess it is just so much of a shock, because we expected to have him for the next 10-15 years (we got him last July)

I know there is nothing we could have done differently, and he was treated well, but it just seems so unfair.

I know what you mean about unfair. We see some pretty terrible chin stories and they seem to thrive the minute they come to us. Then you have the ones that you pamper and give love from day one expecting the "oh they live 20 yrs" thing and they don't. The most important thing to remember is that just the short time of love you gave and got in return will be with you forever - well past 20.

I am so sorry you lost Gizmo. I know the shock of his quick deterioration is quite traumatic, but at least it doesn't sound like he suffered for long, which the suffering makes it so much more horrible. I'm glad you had a good play time the night before and I know Gizmo knows how much he was loved.

With deep sympathy for your loss of Gizmo. That's awful how he went downhill that
fast. You did the best you could and bless his little soul.
Nancy S

Back