Ringworm!! Advice needed!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophiaxfrizzx

Hello I need some advice regarding ringworm. I got two baby chins two months ago and three days into having them I noticed one of them (Disney) was starting to lose hair around his nose. Turns out they had pretty bad ringworm.
Sadly we lost Disney 3 weeks ago. Walt his brother finished his 28 day treatment of oral anti fungal medication and the vet gave him the all clear for ringworm.
Unfortunately my partner and I now have ringworm. My partner in the past day seems to be getting it everywhere and this evening it appeared on his hands.
We were so careful when walt and Disney were diagnosed so we do not understand how this has happened.
Walt in the last few days has started to eat less and less. We are weighing in every night and so far no weight loss.
My biggest worry right now is because my partner was holding walt yesterday and now has ringworm on his hands what is the likely hood of walt getting it back?
I'm in an awful way with stress and worry over this terrible situation. We don't want to lose walt like we lost his brother

They put baby chins on oral antifungal? I'm very surprised. For future reference, I suggest using either topical Blu-Kote or putting an anti-fungal powder in the dust bath. It's very possible that Walt can have a recurrence after being handled by someone with ringworm. It sounds as though you have a real problem with this bouncing around. If it's a really mild case on you guys, I would get some antifungal (Tinactin or the like) over the counter cream and put it on. If it's more widespread, go to a doctor and get a prescription cream. Start putting anti-fungal powder (plain Tinactin) in Walt's dust bath and use it every day for a little while. I don't usually recommend dust bathing every day, but this is for ringworm treatment/prevention. I would also suggest wearing gloves when handling Walt right now to make sure it doesn't bounce back.

As far as him losing his appetite, that could be from the oral antifungal. I have never used an oral antifungal so I can't speak from experience with this. I would suggest getting him on some probiotic. There are many types available. A chin's digestive system can be pretty delicate. It's possible it's out of whack from the medication and the probiotic may get it back to normal. Continue weighing him, watching his poops, and marking how much water he is ingesting. If he doesn't drink, he won't eat. If he isn't pooping, you've got a big problem and a vet visit is in order.

They put baby chins on oral antifungal? I'm very surprised. For future reference, I suggest using either topical Blu-Kote or putting an anti-fungal powder in the dust bath. It's very possible that Walt can have a recurrence after being handled by someone with ringworm. It sounds as though you have a real problem with this bouncing around. If it's a really mild case on you guys, I would get some antifungal (Tinactin or the like) over the counter cream and put it on. If it's more widespread, go to a doctor and get a prescription cream. Start putting anti-fungal powder (plain Tinactin) in Walt's dust bath and use it every day for a little while. I don't usually recommend dust bathing every day, but this is for ringworm treatment/prevention. I would also suggest wearing gloves when handling Walt right now to make sure it doesn't bounce back.

As far as him losing his appetite, that could be from the oral antifungal. I have never used an oral antifungal so I can't speak from experience with this. I would suggest getting him on some probiotic. There are many types available. A chin's digestive system can be pretty delicate. It's possible it's out of whack from the medication and the probiotic may get it back to normal. Continue weighing him, watching his poops, and marking how much water he is ingesting. If he doesn't drink, he won't eat. If he isn't pooping, you've got a big problem and a vet visit is in order.
Thank you for your response. The vet put them on the oral anti fungal because the anti fungal cream was not working it was such a serious problem and poor disney for some reason lost his life due to it. Disney was covered in it and had a huge raised lump on his neck from it.
In Ireland it's so hard to get plain tinactin powder. We got a powder with tinactin in it. I will give walt a regular bath. I was holding off with his baths due to the eye infection that he had. His eye treatment is finished so hopefully the eye will be ok. The vet said he may of a blocked tear duct since his eye is sore on and off since we got him. I'm hoping it's nothing serious with his eye or over all health.
As for us we went to the doctor and got cream. We don't want to put walt at risk so we want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Back