Rest in peace Bazil

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderatr
I'm still feeling a bit like "this isn't real" but... one of my two chins, Bazil, passed away in his sleep sometime Tuesday night or Wednesday morning 😢, he was 14+ years old (I don't know his exact age, just that he was 3 when I got him and his brother in January of 2010). He was in his house and it just looked like he was sleeping, his brother got up but he didn't (they often would get up together for a bit to eat) so I checked on him and he didn't wake up. 😢 We are dealing with a historically hot heatwave here, so I'm unsure if that played a part or if it was just his time. The temp in the room did get into the the upper 70s F for a short period of time Sunday, even with the AC going before I was able to get the temp back down to around 70F. The chins had cool tiles to sit on (changed out with ones in the fridge as needed) and seemed to doing ok though. Monday morning my husband brought home a higher btu AC and I thought all was good and we had gotten lucky someone was selling the exact size AC we needed before it got really hot. The temp in the room has been about 65-68F since Sunday night, even with it being getting up over 100F outside (I am in Northern Alberta this is not normal). Both chins were moving around the cage and eating and acting fairly normal Monday and at least until I went to bed Tuesday, I top up their food before bed and they were both at the food bowl.

That short period of heat on Sunday could have just been too much for him, or it could have just been coincidence, I'll never really know for sure. 😭 His brother, Wicket, is doing fine though, still full of energy, and luckily doesn't seem too bothered by his brother being gone, I seem to be having a harder time with the sudden loss then he is.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Bazil.
As you know I lost my baby just a couple of days ago as well and the pain is just so overwhelming.

Rest in peace Bazil.

I'm still feeling a bit like "this isn't real" but... one of my two chins, Bazil, passed away in his sleep sometime Tuesday night or Wednesday morning 😢, he was 14+ years old (I don't know his exact age, just that he was 3 when I got him and his brother in January of 2010). He was in his house and it just looked like he was sleeping, his brother got up but he didn't (they often would get up together for a bit to eat) so I checked on him and he didn't wake up. 😢 We are dealing with a historically hot heatwave here, so I'm unsure if that played a part or if it was just his time. The temp in the room did get into the the upper 70s F for a short period of time Sunday, even with the AC going before I was able to get the temp back down to around 70F. The chins had cool tiles to sit on (changed out with ones in the fridge as needed) and seemed to doing ok though. Monday morning my husband brought home a higher btu AC and I thought all was good and we had gotten lucky someone was selling the exact size AC we needed before it got really hot. The temp in the room has been about 65-68F since Sunday night, even with it being getting up over 100F outside (I am in Northern Alberta this is not normal). Both chins were moving around the cage and eating and acting fairly normal Monday and at least until I went to bed Tuesday, I top up their food before bed and they were both at the food bowl.

That short period of heat on Sunday could have just been too much for him, or it could have just been coincidence, I'll never really know for sure. 😭 His brother, Wicket, is doing fine though, still full of energy, and luckily doesn't seem too bothered by his brother being gone, I seem to be having a harder time with the sudden loss then he is.

R.I.P. Bazil My condolences for your loss, Amethyst. I recently lost my 16-year-old American Eskimo puppy. I have faith we will all end up with those we love. You will be together again, just believe.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. It's so hard when we lose beloved pets that have been with us for many years.

Oh Amethyst,

My sincere condolences on Bazil's passing. I am so sorry for him (and you).

For whatever it is worth, I don't think it was the heat wave. We went through it here on the coast of BC, had 44 deg C in the shade on Monday (that's 111 F). No A/C. I moved the cage to the basement (and remover the wheel) where it started on Friday night at 25 deg C (77 deg F) and crept up to almost 30 deg C (86 F) by Monday evening. Frozen water bottles rotated, Chino and Chicco seemed frustrated but survived it. The humidity was also unnaturally high here.

Don't beat yourself over it, I *know* your Chins were loved, cared for and kept safe. The sadness, though, is there to acknowledge and live with.

Although I have never met you, sending you virtual hugs and a virtual rose to put on Bazil's grave.
🌹

I am so sorry. It hurts so much to lose them. I lost my guy in January. He was also 14. He had a chronic health issue but still we were not expecting it.
Sending you lots of love.

I am SOOOOO sorry amethyst!!! Bazil was absolutely adorable and you took such good care of him!! Me and Chico send you and Whicket our love during this hard time. I'm so sorry! I will be praying for you!!! ❤

Oh Amethyst,

My sincere condolences on Bazil's passing. I am so sorry for him (and you).

For whatever it is worth, I don't think it was the heat wave. We went through it here on the coast of BC, had 44 deg C in the shade on Monday (that's 111 F). No A/C. I moved the cage to the basement (and remover the wheel) where it started on Friday night at 25 deg C (77 deg F) and crept up to almost 30 deg C (86 F) by Monday evening. Frozen water bottles rotated, Chino and Chicco seemed frustrated but survived it. The humidity was also unnaturally high here.

Don't beat yourself over it, I *know* your Chins were loved, cared for and kept safe. The sadness, though, is there to acknowledge and live with.

Although I have never met you, sending you virtual hugs and a virtual rose to put on Bazil's grave.
🌹
I absolutely agree 1000%!!! You did nothing wrong! My room got around 78°for nearly 4 hours with an Air conditioner. I kept those cool soda cans in there and kept cold water in his bottle and he was fine. It was just his time. You did awesome!!! He could never have asked for a better mom!!!!!❤❤❤

Back