Rescue STATUS UPDATES

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are going to try to do transport this weekend.

Saturday:
New Orleans-Memphis-St Louis-Normal-Genoa is a go.

Memphis-Nashville is a go; waiting to hear from those getting chins through Amanda.

Nashville holding for Florence, AL is pending.

Nashville to Durham: the NWS thinks this can be done early Sunday morning.

Durham north to Sonia in Fredericksburg is a go. She can hold chins till the weather improves. They will need to be picked up as soon as possible.

Durham-Fayetteville-Savannah-Jacksonville is pending but should be no problem.

Jacksonville-Pensacola is a go.

I am now making the list of who gets what. I almost feel like I should not of posted the inventory because I don't want anyone to be disappointed; but then I have faith that everyone feels that any chin is a good one. What chin you get is not a reflection of your worth, but rather what I have chosen for a variety of reasons. If I had doubts, you would not be getting a chin, period. So please, as the song goes, "love the one you're with."

So excited... ready to burst... POP!!!!

:dance2:

Happy dance sequence engaged!!! :)

Back from the vet.

We have a confirmed case of ringworm in one chin, the ebony female. Her
first symptoms were Wed night. It looked like she had rubbed her nose on
wire. This morning there was classic crust. She and her cagemate, the black
velvet who has no symptoms, will be staying with us. There was no direct
contact between them and others but there was indirect nose to the
cagemate's fur to our hands to other chins. A two week quarantine is appropriate. Again, care is needed, alarm is not.

The white female had a small amount of blood from her vagina and will also
be staying with us.

The female on pregnancy watch will be staying here also.

I will start to reapportion the chins. Please advise ASAP if you would
rather not take any.

Rick asked me to send an update to everyone. He said that most of these chins are on the thinner side. Most likely from the straight timmy pellets and not being fed as often as they should have. Their poos look good though, so all is well. Please make sure when you get them to switch them to the alfalfa feed slowly. The pellets are much richer than the timmy pellets and a cold switch can cause tummy issues. They do need to be switched over to alfalfa pellets though to put on some weight.

Essentia as we discussed earlier ......I'm going on the assumption that the new chinnies are coming with a little of the Cavy Cuisine to transition over as I have not heard anything different.. If not I can pick some up this weekend since we are basically the last drop off. If anyone knows of anything different please let me know.

Thanks

Essentia as we discussed earlier ......I'm going on the assumption that the new chinnies are coming with a little of the Cavy Cuisine to transition over as I have not heard anything different.. If not I can pick some up this weekend since we are basically the last drop off. If anyone knows of anything different please let me know.

Thanks

In speaking with Rick earlier in the week - that was his plan. I picked up a supply to distribute to chins picked up in DC and going to PA, DE and NJ. I have packaged it in 1lb bags for each chin to transition them over gradually. I don't think it would hurt - if you can get a bag - to do so - don't open it if you don't have to - and you could always return it - better to have it on hand and be prepared.

All arrangements have been made with the exception of a meeting place or
two. Emails have been sent to everyone in the last couple hours.

If you have any questions, now is the time. We will be loading the van
shortly and getting underway for Memphis.

More on transition feed shortly.

I talked to Rick around 4:30pm (cst) he asked me to email everyone with some info on feeding the chins. If you are on Rick's regular emails and didn't receive my message please PM me and I'll forward it to you.

I just talked to Carol, who was at Kristy's place. All the chins on the Illinois Route have made it to their destinations!

Yup, My 5 are settled in. nibbling away on some food. Carol should be home soon. I will get pictures tomorrow.

The girl I adopted "Lady" has very squishy soft poop. I'm sure it's from all the stress she's been under. Good thing I just got over this with one of my other chin's a few months ago, so I know how to treat it. Is anyone else experiencing this?

PS. I posted this under updates because it could be affecting other animals. If this isn't the appropriate place mods please move it thanks.

The last 2 chins were delivered to Gloria in Pensacola about 5:30 yesterday.

The rescue effort is 100% funded.

If you cannot find Cavy Cuisine, Oxbow's Bunny Basic-T is the same pellet
without the vitamin C and is what probably should have been used in the
first place.

A summary will follow in a day or two. Otherwise only messages concerning
health concerns will be sent to this email group.

Thanks to everyone who made this happen.

I'm going to disagree again.

Feed these poor animals a feed made for chins - Tradition, Oxbow, APD, Mazuri. If you can't find one, use a good quality rabbit feed - Purina Rabbit Show. Give them a good quality hay to go with it. Chins don't need extra Vitamin C.

Back