Rescue STATUS UPDATES

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to state that at this time, with the knowledge I have, I don't feel the chins in those carriers were abused. I'm not saying that in a week their conditions might not be different, but that is my point of view, and I believe in fact if you want to go there with this, that those chins were seized on "what if".

Given the supposedly status ( supposed because all I've heard has been hear say and second hand information ) of other animals, I don't see why the city would seize only some of the animals, and not others, that would be a bit redundant no?

If that makes me wrong and "without honor"... then so be it.

Let's get this thread back on topic, please. Discussions need to be in the proper thread from this point forward. Please limit posts/comments to Status Updates only.

This thread is primarily for Rick to post Updates and News about the progression of the Rescue operation. Please limit comments in this thread."

From Dr Brown:

YEAH.....the second judge upheld the first judge's decision and the animals will be turned over from Arlington to the SPCA probably Monday or maybe Tuesday. The word came through by phone and the written documents will arrive probably on Monday to Arlington. I do not know how SPCA is going to orchestrate the movement of the animals but I wanted to let you two know that the case is now done as far as we know there is nothing more Mr. Shaw can do at this point. He best get all his money put away because hopefully there will be criminal charges in the near future if the city feels that they have a sufficiently strong case which they are looking at now.

From Courtney Stevens, TX SPCA:

All of the animals that were seized from US Global Exotics on December 15, 2009 have finally been awarded. At this time, I am wanting to arrange transport of the animals that have been placed with your agency.

If you are coming directly to the SPCA of Texas located at 2400 Lone Star Dr, Dallas, TX 75212 to pick up the animals being placed with your agency please let me know what date and time you are hoping to arrive. Again, we can not just continue to hold the animals so a rapid response is needed [end]

I have requested a 10AM Wednesday pick-up.

I am leaving now for Dallas and will bring the chins back to NOLA excepting the TX chins.

Hello all !
Rick asked me to let you know that the Chins have been picked up, and all appear healthy. Also, that they are beautiful. He left Dallas this morning and will post here tomorrow evening.

I just talked to him too. He is headed my way and should reach Houston in a couple of hours. He says he has chins of all colors and they are gorgeous.

He left Baytown at about 4PM for the final leg home. My three fosters are truly lovely. They have had a dust bath and are now busy exploring their new home.

I am very happy to hear this. :) I've been worried about that drive all day. Glad to hear everything has gone so well.

Home. Last 2 hours were not fun in the rain and the LA State Troopers couldn't decide whether to pull me over or not. I-10 from Houston is a drug route and I drove a cargo van. Kept me entertained.

63 chins home, safe and sound. All are out of the wooden carriers. I only had time to keep the trios and pairs together. There are few singles and few standards. Aimee and Eddie came over for a few hours and we put them all in various cages and bigger carriers, and gave them food, hay, water, and houses. Tomorrow we will inventory them early and I'll post it. I need to look for any that need to see the vet but the only thing I've seen so far is a rubbed nose with a small sore.

There are ebonies, velvets, brown and black velvets (maybe), mosaics, maybe TOV, beige and some dark standards. That is an impression, not a inventory.

It would be a shame to break up all the trios (6?). We'll see when I have had a chance to sort through them.

Thanks all for the thoughts and donations. A more full account tomorrow.

Rick

Thank you for the update! I wish I had some larger cages on hand. If I did, I would take two sets of trios instead of two pairs.

I am glad to hear everything has gone well so far, and that all the chinnies seem to be in great condition and doing well. I can't wait to meet them!

I have been watching this from afar frustrated for not being able to help. But I must say I am totally impressed with you all. You should all be proud for mobilizing yourselves to make this a beautiful and successful story.

:throw: to all people who are fostering, adopting and helping in every way, and you Rick for all that work and devotion towards this cause. You deserve a medal of honor.

I applaude you all and thank you for these wonderful fluff balls.

After just spending 3 hours helping Rick this evening, (if you count until after midnight evening) I do agree, he does deserve a metal of honor!! Or maybe 2 along with his WONDERFUL Wife Sue!! It was my pleasure to do all I could for you guys!!:hug2: The chinnies are precious & friendly!! I can't wait to see them in their FURever homes!!:FR:

After just spending 3 hours helping Rick this evening, (if you count until after midnight evening) I do agree, he does deserve a metal of honor!! Or maybe 2 along with his WONDERFUL Wife Sue!! It was my pleasure to do all I could for you guys!!:hug2: The chinnies are precious & friendly!! I can't wait to see them in their FURever homes!!:FR:

Yes maam! sorry did not mean to be disrespectful.

WOW I agree.... Rick and his help are all awesome!:thumbsup:
I can't even fathom sorting,feeding and just generally taking 63 chins! :wacko:

I originally offered to take 4 chins.
I requested 2 sets of bonded pairs (basically due to cage space) however if it would help for me to take a trio instead I can do that.
I can clear out a FN and put three in it if needed.
I have another cage I can put a single in too.
I will still take the four so do whatever you need to and I'll be happy.
As I stated before I'm here to help so whatever you need to send me will work for me.
2+2 or 3+1 all equal 4 so I'm good. LOL
I would just prefer to be able to put some together and not have to set up 4 additional cages. (I'll have them standing by in case I need to seperate but don't really want to keep 4 seperate set ups)
I'm so excited and can't wait to meet these little fur balls. :kiss:

Thanks again for making this happen Rick

glad you made a safe trip rick. thanks to all who helped sort and feed and take care of these little dudes.
i am excited to meet my new guys and a little anxious for the journey. am hoping the weather clears for all of us to make safe transactions.
of course it is a lot to ask and i do not expect it, but if you have ANY pictures i would love to see them.
i pulled a few pictures off the news articles and saved them. i am making a scrapbook of their journey, so to have one pic of them in texas would be way cool.

Here's the list:

Left in Texas: 1m & 1f adopted by Norelia, 2 fostered for us by Tamara and 3 foster/adopt by Peggy. Total: 7

Males: 30
2 beige
5 pr (pair) standards (std)
2 pr stnd & beige
1 pr white & beige
2 std
1 pr: black velvet & dark std
1 pr: black velvet & ebony
1 trio: 2 std & 1 beige
1 trio 2 white mosaics & 1 beige

Females: 33

5 pr std
1 trio: 2 std & 1 beige
1 trio: 2 white mosaics & 1 std
2 trio: 2 std & 1 beige
1 pr: 1 white & 1 std
3 pr: 1 std & 1 beige
1 pr: 1 ebony & 1 black velvet
1 std on pregnancy watch (miss sexed)

Total: 63 + 7 = 70 Arlington chins rescued by the SPCA and given to us.

There were 4 early deaths and 1 chin was adopted by a vet working there.

Last edited:
Back