Rescue RAILROAD

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean about driving at night with a possibilty of ice. That really isn't a good idea Could the chins stay at Suzi's for the night??

I can drive to Fredericksburg anytime tomorrow that the roads are safe/clear. I can hold chins at my house for the night no problem, however they would have to stay with me until Tuesday (unless someone wants to come pick them up at my house) because Monday I have work and school so I am busy all day. I can meet Jill in MD on Tuesday at anytime needed.

Just got off the phone with Rick - he's about 60ish miles (probably a little more) outside of Nashville headed East on I-40. No weather yet.

Bethany and JennyBug have their chins and are headed home with them now.

He's not supposed to be in NC until tomorrow morning from my understanding. As soon as I get them, they'll be in Petersburg within 3 hrs. Up to DC - it's gonna take a heck of a lot more than 5-6 hrs from Durham. From my understanding, most of I-95 is closed down in northern VA.

If anyone along the East Coast railroad needs any supplies from me, please let me know before 9pm tonite. I've had a few orders over the day and I want to make sure that I get everything done in time. Thanks!

barb--the only problem with them being held a day or so is that both jill and i work full time. during the week the earliest i could leave would be 4 pm which would have me driving during rush hour so it would take me about 3 hour to get to jill and over 2 back.
that is a lot of driving for a week night when both jill and i have younger children.
hopefully it wont come to that.

it has stopped snowing and the road crews have all of tonight and tomorrow and they will be working around the clock to get the roads clear. i am hoping it will happen tomorrow.

It has stopped snowing here in MD - I have learned we are expecting more snow on Tuesday...uggh! Weekday transport is going to require me to take a day off of work and bring my 2 1/2yr old with me...

Sounds like the possibility of me picking up in DC tomorrow afternoon and moving them to Delaware is unlikely.

why do you think it is unlikely? you dont think the roads will be cleared? because they have all of tonight and tomorow to doso. and if you are not able to transport, how long can the person before you hold the chins for?

they are predicting more snow midweek here as well. during the week i would have my son with me and i would be alone, at leas tomorrow i would have my fiance.
i would prefer for it to happen this weekend othewise next weekend i am only available on valentines day, which isnt such a great day.

I was going on the earlier post that Rick will be in NC tomorrow morning - to deliver to Tiffany - who said it will take them to Petersburg (3 hours) and more than 5-6 hours to get to them to Fredericksburg (with parts of 95 closed) - once there - Suzi will pick up and under normal conditions it is roughly an hour to DC - from there - it will take me approximately 3 1/2 hours from pick up in DC, drop off in Bowie and on to Dover...guess it all depends on how early in the morning the transport starts... I will be alone with my kids as well, and they'll be coming along for the ride.

just talked to Melissa, her and her husband plan to leave around 10am that would have them in Petersburg around 12pm-1pm, so that means they would be at Sonia's around 2-3pm. Melissa will call me as soon as they leave Petersburg so I can start my trip down *hopefully* to Fredericksburg. So I should *hopefully* be to the DC meeting point around 3pm-4pm

GO VDOT!! GO MDOT!! Clear those roads!! :cheer2:

in the words of the Vegas commerical - Viva Las Chinchillas!!

Finally

I think the snow is finished - praying!!! The stars are out so hopefully that's a good sign. Have not seen a sign of a plow yet. The snow we had in Dec., the weekend before Christmas, kept the plows busy and we didn't see one until Monday (snow stopped Sat.). Last weekend they were here on Sunday but it was a lot less snow. Hopefully Melissa has 4 wheel drive and can make it to the house. We have been saying prayers that it stopped. One of the bottoms to a cage being used for a rescue had to be dug out. Wow. It was deep on the deck. We will be fine if they get here and can hold for enough time to allow roads to clear and keep everyone safe.

:breath::cold:

I got off the phone with Rick and he should be getting to Durham around 9am. It may be later, but he's gonna call me an hour and a half away and I'll let everyone know to be prepared. He's really tired and needs some rest. He was outside of Knoxville when I talked to him, he was busy for over 2 hrs feeding and watering everyone.

So, after I get everyone loaded up, I should be in Petersburg between 12 and 1pm - hopefully earlier, but I can't promise, as he'll be going through the NC mountains and he needs to be safe.

UPDATE ON THE ILLINOIS ROUTE:

The chins left St. Louis around 1:30pm and should be arriving in Normal between 5-5:30pm. The entire Illinois Railroad should be completed by no later then 8:30 tonight.

The Illinois route was done last night. I met Brittany in Oglesby, Illinois and feel very guilty I misjudged my time and she waited over 45 minutes for me. AND I didn't hear my phone ring and kept her wondering. Sorry, Brittany. I picked up my two and Kristy's 5 and delivered Kristy's chins around 9 pm. As mentioned in another post, my beige DID make a run for it before I could grab her from the travel crate. After a brief mad scramble, I was able to catch her and get her in the cage with her 'sister' rescue. I was thinking of naming my ebony Nola for obvious reasons and I want to name my beige after a member on this forum but I'm going to ask permission, first. :thumbsup:

Just talked to Rick. He didn't take the I-40 detour around the mountains, he took the other way down I-77, so he's another hour and a half away from Durham at this time. That means I'll probably be making it to Petersburg after 12:30pm.

Any news on the North? He wants to know if the roads are any clearer and if it's possible to move the chins past Sonia today.

the roads are clear in my area, so i planned on making the drive, however; jill is in the hardest hit area and it will depend on her.

I am still digging out the cars...but as long as they make it to VA and up to DC....we should be okay....fingers crossed and prayers appreciated. I won't be by the computer till after 12 - so keep me informed please. Michelle H & Suzi - please call me if anything changes!

I checked the road using th trafficland camera earlier this morning and saw pavement so that is a good sign! My car is dug out and loaded up! Melissa will call me as soon as she turns back from meeting Tiffany, I will then hit the road!

Jill and Michelle what time is too late for you guys? If I can't make it to Jill until 5pm or 6pm am I still dropping them off?

Last edited:
i had hoped to do the pickup in DE no later than 7, was crossing my fingers for 6! that would hopefully get my home by 10 and get everyone plus mine taken care of by midnight ish.
if the schedule will be pushed back barb will be picking hers up in the AM.

i guess all we can do it play it by ear. and hopefully everyone will be safe and the transitions will be quick so we can all get home at a resonable hour and without incident!

Melissa is leaving to meet Tiffany. Everyone please remember that our live (and that of the chins) come first. Take your time. If the northern stretch needs to be delayed I have plenty of room to hold all the chins headed north and the ones I'm keeping. At least everyone will be safe that way. A few days doesnt matter here and even though everyone is excited safety does come first. We have a call for snow again on Tues and Weds. So just remember we've waited this long a few more days could make a big difference. No pressure Suzi. I have you covered. Do what's safest for you and Jill.
Jill if you don't have enough space for those that might have to wait, I do.

Back