Rescue RAILROAD

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All arrangements have been made with the exception of a meeting place or
two.

If you have any questions, now is the time. We will be loading the van
shortly and getting underway for Memphis.

More on transition feed shortly.

I just got home from work, WOW the roads are VERY bad :( I am thanking every star in the Heavens that I made it home safely. I saw lots of plows and salt trucks on standby (they had not plowed anything yet) so let's all wish VDOT/MDOT lots of luck with getting the roads safe for Chinchilla Rescue 2010!

I really don't see how the chins will get thru VA today. It is horrible in NJ and I know VA and DC are much worse. I should think it would be safer if they spent a day in VA until the roads are plowed. Let think safety here and not risk people and/or the chins. Another day won't hurt the chins and certainly could very well be for their safety

<sigh> my anti snow dance didn't work. What I had cleared last night - you can't even tell. I will continue to dig out - it's still snowing here in MD - and I guess we will have to play it all by ear. I agree - OUR safety is the most important.

Rick asked me for my contact information yesterday. So I will be of assistance if needed. This morning still looks good down here in Richmond. About an inch of snow yesterday and it started to snow again ( about 1/2 hour ago ) lightly falling. I'm sure all parties involved will be extra careful.

I'm sure Tiffany would be able to keep them and give them exercise if a delay is expected. I also have 1/2 a bale of timothy hay and an exercise pen if I should be needed. Petersburg is about half hour south of me.
They will all make it safe, if even for a snow storm delay.

Last edited:
Got "the" call from Rick at 8:20 Central time (about an hour ago), he was leaving Memphis and will be in Nashville around noon. I'll be on my way shortly to meet with him (it's only an hour drive from here). Just rain here, so all's good.

lets hope the DELDOT and the VADOT & the DCDOT and what every other DOT is needed can clear the roads for safe travel.
thanks everyone for keeping us updated and be safe.

I just got off the phone with Rick and he said all is going well so far. He hasn't hit any precipitation at all. Keep your fingers crossed that everything goes as well as it has so far.

good news is that I heard Fredericksurg didn't get hit as bad.... but DC is a nightmare. Just to share a few pics, these are the stairs at the entrance to my condo and under the tree to the left, that is a car. I have lived in southern/northern VA all of my life, never seen anything like this.

Attachments

• pics 297.jpg
    pics 297.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 21
  • pics 298.jpg
    pics 298.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 19
  • pics 299.jpg
    pics 299.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 18
  • pics 300.jpg
    pics 300.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 18
still snowing here in Maryland.....hoping the winds will finally let up....27 inchees when I measured a few hours ago - and that says NOTHING about the drifts in our yard. If I let my kids go outside - I won't be able to find them it's so deep in places.

We have had almost 2 feet but a lot got beat down last night with the sleet that we had for about 2 hours. Several areas are closed due to down trees. They said the main road in Stafford will be closed for several hours while they take care of a couple of trees. It is still snowing rather hard at the moment. Don't know how much more we are going to get but it's deep. Luckily the chins like cold because the snow is keeping the basement very chilly (for humans especially John).

UPDATE ON THE ILLINOIS ROUTE:

The chins left St. Louis around 1:30pm and should be arriving in Normal between 5-5:30pm. The entire Illinois Railroad should be completed by no later then 8:30 tonight.

I don't know just yet - when I last emailed Rick (before he left) he said we'd play it by ear. I don't know WHERE the chins are as of yet - and know they're supposed to be in VA tomorrow - I believe - not sure if/when I'd be meeting Suzi - but Michelle and I are both hesitant about driving at night due to temp drops and ice.

well the good news is my car is free! I parked up at a shopping mall since we figured that would get plowed out early. We walked up there and there were guys in bobcats digging out the parking lot. We went over and started digging out my car, one of the bobcat drivers saw us and came over and helped to dig me out! :D we have 28" on the ground here

Attachments

• pics 302.jpg
    pics 302.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 12
  • pics 303.jpg
    pics 303.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 13
  • pics 304.jpg
    pics 304.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I know what you mean about driving at night with a possibilty of ice. That really isn't a good idea Could the chins stay at Suzi's for the night??

I am taking a stabbing guess for the Mid-Atlantic route, the chins are near Knoxville. That is based on Rick being in Nashville around noon central time according to Amanda. It's about a 3 hour drive to Knoxville. Again this all just me trying to make an educated guess. If they can make it to NC today, from Durham to DC, it's 4.5 hours per google maps, but I will give it 5.5 with roads not having to be their best. So it's possible to get this done before late Sunday night...not a definite though of course. This is just my speculations.

Back