Rescue RAILROAD

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barb--i am planning on meeting jill in deleware on sunday evening, if it all works out.
i can keep your 4 at my house, although i dont know i have enough cages if they are not paired together.
unfortunately it looks like it will not be until late sunday evening, but if you are available you are more then welcome to come to my house as late as midnight. hopefully we will be home by then.
otherwise i do have to work on monday but get home around 3:45.

argh snow! I keep hearing they don't know what we are getting. I know Sonia can hold the chins in Fredericksburg if needed. I can go to Sonia's house at anytime on Sunday, so it is fine if I need to wait for the roads to be plowed. If it becomes too late and the roads futher north are too bad I can hold the chins at my house. I only have one extra cage, but I do have 5 cat carriers and can let them out for short playtimes. I won't be able to do any tranporting on Monday because I have work and school but I am as free as a bird on Tuesday so I could start back up the train then. Let's all do are "no snow" dances!

Last edited:
Snow, Schmow....I've got all wheel drive - and as long as it's not TOO bad - I'm up for it. Sunday is best for me - so I won't have to take a day off of work, but we'll see....

No More Snow! No More Snow! No More Snow! No More Snow! No More Snow!

we are traveling major highways so I would *hope* those will be cleared by Sunday... unlike this past Sat when they didn't plow ANYTHING and it took me two hours to get to work!

Well at least if I get stuck in my car I can cover myself with 10 chinchillas to keep warm!! :hilarious: Can't you see the headlines now? "Woman rescued from car, kept warm by covering herself with chinchillas!"

Well, I guess the East Coast railroad is really depending on me. From what I can see, they're calling for snow tomorrow night, Friday and Saturday in my area, but I'm unsure of accumulation totals. We just got about 10 inches this past weekend, so hopefully it will have cleared off by the time we get more. As long as I-85 is clear from Durham to Petersburg (which I don't see why it wouldn't be, Interstates are normally cleared first), then it should be no problem from my end. I'm borrowing my grandfather's truck just in case, as my car doesn't do so well in the snow (we had to pull it out of the driveway with the tractor yesterday!)

The storm is expected on saturday and while in the northeast we will get mostly snow, the DE area looks to be getting mostly rain. Hopefully it will all be cleared by Sunday am.
It will make for some slow going, so hopefully for those of us traveling from the north we can make the journey as early as possible.

A forecaster at the NWS says that the system is expected to clear off the coast maybe late Sat. night. We should decide tomorrow, Friday early. Discuss it here on the forum and I will have a group email later.

Rick--the local Philly news in this area just updated the "model" and the storm is now expected to come UP the coast, i believe starting in the north carolina area.
The NJ/PA/DE area is forecasted at this point to get possibly more than 12 inches of snow. The storm is expected to start around 7 pm friday evening and snow until saturday night around 7 pm. So 24 hours of snow. While this does allow for travel on sunday, I am worried about the delays it will cause since travel will be ceased until sunday. Personally i may be able to take a 1/2 day next week if this doesnt work out over the weekend, but I am not sure what the other transporters can do.
Having that much snow I assume it will take most of the night saturday and part of the day sunday to clear. It may not be safe for some of us to drive at night as the temps on sunday may cause melting and than icy conditions.

MD (Baltimore) has been reported to be getting 14-22 inches of snow. I am worried about the possible delays as well.

If they get as far as me and need to stay, I can hold for those expecting further north. We are expecting wintery mix Friday morning and snow starting Friday night until Saturday night. I know you are tired Rick but if you wanted to move up or later just let us all know. If I need to I can meet around Richmond or a little further south if it is going to be too difficult for others to head here.

If they get as far as me and need to stay, I can hold for those expecting further north. We are expecting wintery mix Friday morning and snow starting Friday night until Saturday night. I know you are tired Rick but if you wanted to move up or later just let us all know. If I need to I can meet around Richmond or a little further south if it is going to be too difficult for others to head here.

If they make it to Sonia, I can wait until roads are clear on Sunday and pick up anytime from Sonia or I can wait and pick up anytime on Tuesday that Sonia is free. I can transport them to MD either on Tuesday, Wednesday morning, (Friday I have to check) or Saturday morning. I would hate to have to hold them until Saturday since they will be in cat carriers but I can give them each playtime everyday

Rick, if all else fails I can still meet you in Pensacola if need be. I am off Friday and Saturday. I can leave tomorrow and meet you Friday evening and take all the chins off your hands for this area. I know that would be a secondary trip for you, but just throwing that out there, because you know, we have no snow. ;)

I don't know if this will help anyone. I am in Richmond Virginia. 15 miles right off Interstate 95. Fredericksburg is about an hour north. If I may be of assistance for a "lay over" let me know. ( I do have a 4x4 quad cab truck )

They are calling for 1 to 3 inches in my area today. Then 4 to 6 inches Saturday. I do know that northern Virginia is going to be a nightmare!!
The Fredericksburg area and parts north are going to get nearly 3 feet of snow.

I have plenty of food and hay. I can transport further up the coast when its clear. I will check back here several times today. I don't know what the travel plans are for these guys. Please leave me a private message if I can help. Be careful!!!!

6Dusters - thank you - I think we MAY need a contingency plan - even if Rick can get the chins 1/2 way....I am running DC to DE and they are calling for a total of 16-30 inches of snow by Saturday night.

Back