Reintroducing Dad & Other Options

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiniverse

My female had two little girls two weeks ago. Dad was removed about 3-4 weeks before she gave birth to ensure breedback doesn’t happen. I see people always point out that she can get pregnant again right after birth, and not to reintroduce dad until 10-14 days after birth. We do not want anymore kits, and I haven’t been able to find anywhere that mentions once the pre-birth estrus is over, how long it typically takes before she’s able to get pregnant again?

When we realized she was pregnant we hoped she would have a male and female so we could get a second cage an separate into male/female groups. Since that’s not an option, we are trying to figure out Plan B. I have some vet referrals for neutering, but I know there is a lot of risk and I hesitate to move forward with that. For weeks he’s been calling to them, and he clearly doesn’t like being alone.

I am now trying to weigh the options of getting him neutered and placing him with mom and babies after recovery so he can be with one he’s already bonded to. OR getting another male and hoping to have them successfully bond. Babies are staying with us, so another makes 5, which is a lot. What recommendations do you all have?

Unless you get him neutered you can no put him back with the female and kits. I could be wrong but I think it's more like she can go into heat anytime from a few weeks before until a few week after giving birth. 10-14 days is just how long it normally takes for the female to heal after giving birth. As far as I've heard giving birth and nursing kits does not stop a chin from becoming pregnant again so within 28-35 days she will be going into a heat cycle again, meaning the male can't be with her or he will mate with her.

Neutering is a option, but it is risky and you do need to cage him separately for 8 week after for all the sperm to be gone. Personally unless you have a really experienced vet I would just keep him separately. The problem with getting another male is that even if you get them to bond it can happen that when the females go into heat it causes the males to fight. I know a lot of people have been able to keep males and females in the same room without a problem, but just something to keep in mind.

We ended up deciding to get dad his own setup and keep him separate. He has been with the babies and mom a handful of times but mom is a little on edge when he is around, and he is just too excitable. Even in the middle of the day when I’ve tried to let them have some time together when everyone has been sleeping, he is too antsy, jumping off the walls and everyone gets riled up and tries to get out when I open the door. He seems to be doing alright alone, and although they still call for each other every day, I think just keeping them in the same room together but separate cages (and not right next to each other) is going to be the best option. I was able to find a vet who has a lot of experience successfully neutering chins, so it’s an option if necessary, but I don’t think it will be.

Under housing I shared my story, kind of similar.... we just in the past few weeks merged two boys, neutered with no issues at all, with the girls...one boy and one girl were babies 14 months ago...

Back