Reintroducing Cagemates

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarnetKrow

Hello,

I have 2 chinchillas that have been cagemates for about 2 years. They are both female. They have never had fights, and always loved to cuddle together. About a month ago, I noticed one of them limping, and took her to the vet. The vet diagnosed it as torn soft tissue, and issued cage rest. I separated the two, and kept the one on cagerest in a smaller cage, right next to the original cage, where the two chins can see each other and smell each other. I finally got the ok today from the vet to reintroduce the injured (now healed!) chin back into her original cage. To my horror, the 2 chins immediately started fighting. There was fur flying and angry chatter, so I separated them again quickly. They are back in their respective cages. I am extremely sad that this has happened, and would like them to go back to the relationship that they used to have. If anyone can provide any guidance to properly reintroduce they again, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You can alternate them back and forth between their 2 cages. 2 days in each one and then switch. Do this for 8 days so they switched times 4 times. Then put a little bit of vanilla extract on both of their noses (use a qtip) and put them back together. Watch them for a while but this will help them to reacquaint.

Back