Red eyes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

XavierRox

I know this is probably a silly question but my chinnie has these red, kind of cloudy, eyes. They give him this evil/possessed look. He isn't albino or anything, if you look at the picture in the Chat forum under "New pictures of Xavier" You can see his red eyes. It's kind of confusing. Also, when I hold him he kind of vibrates and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Chins can shake if they are nervous when they are let out.

As for the red eyes, that's completely normal since he is a beige color. It's just part of their genetics. Pink whites, beiges, and some brown velvets will have red eyes.

Yes, I agree the red eyes can be pretty spooky. My husband used to tease me when I got my first red-eyed chinchilla, a homozygous beige. He would say one night we would wake up and find our new chinchilla flying around the room, breathing fire, and then he would swoop down and bite our necks!

Oh thank god. I was almost worried he had some sort of weird eye disease. My one friend actually screamed when she saw him. "He has RED eyes!!". It was pretty comical.

Yeah, then let your husband tell his side if the story - she'll scream all the way home!

I've had people contact me saying they were interested in a beige or tan chin, but once they saw them they couldn't get past their red eyes. I guess it just really freaks some people out. LOL

I just got two new chins, a brown velvet and a beige and they both have a red eyes. It took some getting used to for me.However, when my mom came over, who had loved my lasy chinnie who just passed away, she freaked out and refused to even pet them because she was scared of them because they had red eyes. (sigh) Oh well. I hope she gets over it. I don't even notice it anymore when I am with them.

Maybe it's just me but I kinda like the red eyes. Makes them stand out more. I mean my standards eyes are practicalyl black...and since Sambuca is so dark I sometimes can't even see them if the lighting is poor.

I think they're cute <3

Yeah, I only really notice it now when he's pouting in his cage because he can't come out. It's like he has the power to make them look menacing when he needs to.

Back