Recommended Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesseman1

I went to the pet store to buy some hay for my chin but found several different kinds of Oxbow hay to choose from. There is Oat Hay, Western Timothy Hay, Orchard Grass Hay, Alfalfa Hay, and Hay Blends. I know Alfalfa Hay is only meant to be given as a treat, but I don’t know about the others, which should I be giving unlimited amounts of?

I give my boys only timothy. Oat and orchard are known as "treat hays" such as alfalfa. Like tunes said below, "The general rule of thumb is, if you feed a timothy based pellet, feed alfalfa hay. If you feed an alfalfa-based pellet, feed timothy hay. " You could mix a little of the treat hays into the timothy if you wanted to give some variety, but I recommend not doing the variety option too often if you have a picky chin. They might grow to love the treat hays only and ignore the main hay. I'm not quite sure about the Hay Blends.

Last edited:
What food do you feed? The general rule of thumb is, if you feed a timothy based pellet, feed alfalfa hay. If you feed an alfalfa-based pellet, feed timothy hay. You can also give other hays for treats.

Back