Rat Cages??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

Hey guys. I need ideas on good rat cages or plans so that I can build my own. My rats have a super nice cage for here at home- it's huge, very roomy, tons of room for toys and for them to climb. I can not take the cage apart though and therefore can not bring it to school as I have to smuggle the cage (and rats) into my apartment.

The cage I have been using for them is a Martin's cage and is fine size-wise although it is smaller than the one I have for them here at home. The cage over the past 1.5 years has gotten to be disgusting. Despite powerwashing several times a year and scrubbing it down 1x a week, it's still nasty. I don't know why it is so hard to get to look/smell clean but I have given up and need to find them a new cage for my apartment.

I need a cage I can take apart and reassemble when I am going to/from school. I have looked at petco/petsmart but all of their cages are reallly small and don't offer a lot of climbing room. I don't have a problem with plastic shelves as my rats won't chew the plastic (they prefer to destuff their bed and hammock...lol) but I ended up returning a cage I bought yesterday because the plastic shelves were so loose and insecure that any slight movement would have them falling apart.

At this point I am debating on just buying a bird cage and making my own wooden shelves but I am worried that the wood will get nasty if they pee on it.

Any ideas/recommendations?

How many rats do you have? what about the super pet ferret cages? I have the 24 x 24 one with the purple shelves in it and it folds down easily for transport and storage.

Is your Martin's cage powder coated or galvanized?

A lot of people use Critter Nations for rats. CNs break down pretty easily.

How many rats do you have? what about the super pet ferret cages? I have the 24 x 24 one with the purple shelves in it and it folds down easily for transport and storage.

I have 2 HUGE male rats. Do you have a link that I could go to to see the cage? Can I find it at Petsmart to look at?

Is your Martin's cage powder coated or galvanized?

A lot of people use Critter Nations for rats. CNs break down pretty easily.

I believe it's galvanized.
I will check out the CN's. I've seen pictures of them but did not realize they are able to be broken down. They look like nice cages.

Back