Raspberry and blueberry branches safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcr

I was reading on a "vet" website that raspberry is safe? I'm also curious if blueberry branches are a safe treat?

QUOTE FROM WEBSITE: Also small quantities of carrot and celery tops and edible leaves from trees and shrubs such as hawthorn, willow, apple, raspberry and blackberry will also be accepted. Always make sure that any foods collected from the wild are washed thoroughly and have not been contaminated by chemicals or the waste of other animals.

From that quote it makes it sound like they are saying the leaves from those plants are okay. Personally I would never feed leaves from a plant, as they aren't something that's needed.

I can't find anything on the wood though.

Raspberry and blueberry plants aren't wood, if I remember right. My dad had planted some raspberry bushes when I was younger, I remember they took over the garden the following year, but I don't remember them as anything more than a viney bush - no bark on it.

Technically a blueberry bush is a shrub. An established bush has bark on the older branches.

Someone posted this in regards to planting blueberries on another forum:

QUOTE: P.S. rabbits love blueberries bushes and blueberry bark when they're hungry in the winter. They will nibble the bark, and often right through branches. If you have bunnies about, cage the bushes in winter to protect them. (I haven't found it to be an issue in the summer when bunny-food is plentiful)

Chinchillas and bunnies are two totally different animals. They don't have the same diet. I wouldn't think it would be safe to feed. At least I would never risk it

Back